We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smartphone apps for NYC Travelers - the must-have list

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Smartphone apps for NYC Travelers - the must-have list

I thought I'd share this information, since i haven't seen much on using one's cellphone as a handy guide when traveling around NYC.

There are a few things the first- (or 25th-) time traveler should know before leaving home; you'll need a SIM card that you can use in the US. It will also help if you bring your charging cable with you, since you can use that to sync to a computer if you didn't download certain apps before you left home.

Getting Around

Both the iTunes App Store and Amazon have some great apps for NYC public transportation. I'm rather fond of:

Amtrak (for those of you coming into town or leaving it by train- you can make reservations and boo trips through it, as well as see what connections you'll need to make if you want to travel outside the city)

Embark NJ (If you are taking New Jersey Transit to Penn Station New York (which is NOT the same as Penn Station Newark) from Newark International, you'll love this app. You can also figure out how to get back.)

For getting around on the subway or bus, you might want to view this link. Most of these apps include trip planners - gothamist.com/2013/09/24/mta_announces_app_q…

See this link for pretty much every kind of transportation possible, from taxicabs and bicycles to the Long Island Rail Road- thirteen.org/metrofocus/…

Where am I?

Everyone needs a decent map of New York City. Instead of bunching up with your best buds in the middle of a sidewalk while trying to figure out where the Empire State Building is, why not use these apps?

Google Maps - There's a good chance you already have it. If you are an Apple-head like me, you can get it for free. The NYC map gives you walking and public transportation directions as well as ones for driving. It can even speak to you and tell you which turns to make.

Siri - Apple phone owners with 4 and 5 level phones already have Siri. If you have the GPS enabled, just ask Siri where the nearest park is, or the Empire State Building. She'll be glad to help you.

Not For Tourists- This is my boyfriend's favorite NYC app, because if he's meeting me somewhere in Manhattan (he lives in semi-rural Pennsylvania) and he wants to find a bagel shop along the way, this app will tell him where one is. Do you need your broken shoe repaired? Spilled something on your favorite dress and you need to find a dry cleaner? Want to find a coffee shop in Soho? This app will help.

Reviews

Yelp - whether it's a hair salon, a dive bar or a boutique, find out from real people whether it's worth your while.

OpenTable- You can make reservations for restaurants, figure out which ones are in your budget, and see which ones are close to your hotel. Plus there are reviews from the Zagat Guide.

Zagat- Curated and realistic reviews of restaurants, stores, and so on.

Things to do

Istaverse - Look up the Gothamist section to see what's going on around New York City. Absolutely essential for the young and the young at heart.

Central Park Conservancy - You are in the park and need a bathroom/a playground before the kids make you crazy/directions to Strawberry fie;ds/the names of all those studs, bridges and gates scattered about. What to do? Download this app. Every water fountain, statue, playground, bathroom and landmark is mapped out.

American Museum of Natural History - Some people love the dinosaurs. others love the giant whale. Me, I love knowing where the bathrooms are in this giant maze of a place. And this app will tell you where everything is, including what in-house restaurants are open.

Here's a link to more information about museum apps - nytimes.com/2010/…

And another link (I think this one is better) - complex.com/tech/…nyc-museum-guide

Hotels

If you really, really need a hotel room tonight, here's how you can get one. -http://www.hoteltonight.com

Get me OuttaHere

Finally, airport apps. so you can find you luggage, get to your terminal on time, and whatnot.

…travelandleisure.com/articles/the-best-airp…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,962 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smartphone apps for NYC Travelers - the must-have list

Uber App to call for an e-taxi. Love the service. I keep getting coupons. soon Uber will "owe me" money.....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,400 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smartphone apps for NYC Travelers - the must-have list

And Hopstop is a good one for getting directions via public transport. The MTA website also has a directions feature.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smartphone apps for NYC Travelers - the must-have list

Definately add Gett for getting around.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smartphone apps for NYC Travelers - the must-have list

Good thread. Coming in December.

I think Hopstop is now iphone-only (Apple bought Hopstop?), although you can access web version on Android.

NY Times The Scoop is a nice one. From NYT: "The Scoop is The New York Times insiders’ guide to New York City, including restaurants, bars, coffee shops and boutiques as well as events, outings and more!", again iphone-only.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,199 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smartphone apps for NYC Travelers - the must-have list

I would add the TKTS app to see what's available at TKTS. You can't buy anything on it but it does tell you what's available in real time at the 3 booths

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,962 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smartphone apps for NYC Travelers - the must-have list

What is Gett? A car service APP? I don't think it works for NYC, but I could be wrong. Do explain please.

Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Smartphone apps for NYC Travelers - the must-have list

Can I just ask? If I use my uk sim will I be charged for using these apps or alternatively if I switch my data roaming off can I still use them?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
472 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smartphone apps for NYC Travelers - the must-have list

You are a STAR michelyverse for putting this together. I have already downloaded some apps that were previously recommended on various threads, but this is a fantastic help for us technologically challenged tourists. thank-you thank-you thank-you. :)

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,956 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smartphone apps for NYC Travelers - the must-have list

Tweat.it for food truck locations

Angry Bird

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smartphone apps for NYC Travelers - the must-have list

Can i be the first to request an eatingwithziggy.com app? ;-)