We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 and alone in NY, advices please

Venice, Italy
13 posts
Save Topic
18 and alone in NY, advices please

Hello to all NY experts! So it happened that an 18 years old boy is coming alone to NY....so I have billions of thoughts and worries....what hostel should he choose, will he have trouble checking in since he is not 21, are some safer than the others, to what situations should he pay attention, in short, what advices would you give to him was he your son.....a part from, useless to say, telling him not to go of course :( Thank you...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 and alone in NY, advices please

yes there are few hotels that will accept him

The Hostelling International would be a good option

NYC is VERY safe he just needs to be sensible

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 and alone in NY, advices please

Tell him to sign up for Tripadvisor and read the FAQ's on the right of this page. I don't consider 18 a boy. I consider that a young man.

Venice, Italy
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 and alone in NY, advices please

@LMVManchester, thanks, I too think IH will be the option, I'm sure there he'll also find somebody to hang around with.

@ter1413, he truly is a young man when moving inside the near european or eastern contests, no doubt about it, but being alone AND abroad AND in a mega-city....well, some things aren't as obvious as they might seem to people used to it. I'm not arguing about his being grown up, just trying to understand what situations would be better avoided....

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,584 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 18 and alone in NY, advices please

While I am not saying do not come, I AM saying do not come until you have firm hotel reservations that state, in writing, that they will allow an 18 year old to check in. Also, remind him ( I do not know if this is part of his game plan) that the legal drinking age in NYC is 21 and he will NOT be allowed to go to bars etc. etc. It IS strictly enforced. He will also not be allowed to have a glass of wine with his dinner. While common in Italy, that is still considered drinking.

If he accepts all the ground rules and is realistic about what he wants to do, there is no reason why he can't have a great time.

Edited to add: NYC is safe and he should be fine, as long as he doesn't do "stupid'

Edited: 01 December 2013, 12:59
Venice, Italy
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 18 and alone in NY, advices please

Not much of a drinker....

What about the roundabout? The latest news about the casual "knockdowns" are not so reassuring....From what I understand they are happening in Brooklyn?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 18 and alone in NY, advices please

"What about the roundabout? The latest news about the casual "knockdowns" are not so reassuring....From what I understand they are happening in Brooklyn?"

I dont understand what this means! Can anyone help me?

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 18 and alone in NY, advices please

I believe this is referring to the "knockout game" that has been in the news lately.

…go.com/US/…

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,083 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 18 and alone in NY, advices please

LMV. ...I beleive it isin reference to "the knockout game". It has been highly publicized around here. Thing is with all those people on the city, while disturbing, it has happened to a tiny percentage and with more people aware of it, hopefully occurances of it will go down

www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 18 and alone in NY, advices please

aaah I see thanks for the clarification!

Venice, Italy
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 18 and alone in NY, advices please

oh, I'm so sorry...my English :(

The question would be - any safety rules when walking around alone? Apart from the already known zones that are "less safe" than the others, would it be better to avoid some parts in Brooklyn?

I know I sound strange but Venice really isn't what you would consider a big city :)