We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 couples - where to dine/drink/have a night out?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 couples - where to dine/drink/have a night out?

Hi. We are three couples from Norway in our early 20's who's staying in NY in January. We are staying right next to Times Square, and want to go out and eat good food, drink good drinks and have a blast. I know theres probably houndreds of alternatives, but we want some tips to where we should go, and why. What's "your place" when you go ut?

We want to stay near Times Square area but that's not a must.

Price is really not a issue, but we don't want to spend TOO much.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,769 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 couples - where to dine/drink/have a night out?

Have a look at resident "Foodie" Ziggy's great blog, specially the section on Hell's Kitchen which is not far from Times Square. http://eatingwithziggy.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,779 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 couples - where to dine/drink/have a night out?

Why do you want to stay near Times Square? Are you going to a number of Broadway shows? If not, I'd suggest venturing far from it as it is mostly just chain restaurants and stores and, of course, the theaters.

Explore some of the NYC's charming neighborhoods: Greenwich Village, Lower East Side, West Village, East Village, TriBeCa, SoHo, Gramercy Park, Upper West Side, Chelsea - and others (your guidebook will have info on the many neighborhoods) -

So much more interesting places to eat, visit, beautiful streets to wander - Times Square is a great stopover at night once (maybe twice) to see the bright lights - then, it is good to go and see real NYC -

Brooklyn, as part of NYC is also bursting with many interesting neighborhoods.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,063 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 couples - where to dine/drink/have a night out?

If you want to stay near Times Square, the area called Hells Kitchen is really the best idea and ziggys blog which you've been given has very good info.

But the truth is, the east village and the lower east side are better and younger and less touristy and have some of the best reasonably priced eating and a lot of good bars. Ziggy's blog will cover those areas too. Websites like

eater.com

seriouseats.com

also have good information.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 couples - where to dine/drink/have a night out?

Ok, thank you for your response! We are going to one Broadway show, but the only reason I said "near Time Square" is just beacuse our hotel is there, but that shouldn't be a reason to eat and drink only there. So I'm open for suggestions! We are definitely going to one or more of those neighborhoods, MomCat. Any ideas to where to dine&wine in those areas? We know we are going to eat at Grimaldi in Brooklyn, but that's pretty much it. We want to really explore the "real" NY, not go to the standard restaurants we can visit in every major city. We also would like to go to a place afterwords and continue the "party". Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 couples - where to dine/drink/have a night out?

These neighborhoods have MANY great places to eat and drink. Check NYWhiz's links. You'll start to gain an appreciation of how many options you have (and there are many more!). You might begin to refine exactly the type of place you would enjoy and can post a more precise question.

Factors to take into account: Type of cuisine, rustic or refined, ambiance decor and "vibe", time of day and which meal, day of the week (some places switch over to brunch during weekend daytime hours and serve a different lunch menu on weekdays), how much time you want to devote to the meal, whether you want a place that takes reservations or are willing to wait awhile for a table or whether you want something really quick, more precise foods you want to try (e.g. bagel, pizza, handmade ravioli, pastrami, ramen), price point, etc etc.

There's no "short list" of good, authentic and local places to eat. It's a VERY long list.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,779 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 couples - where to dine/drink/have a night out?

I'd head out to Williamsburg Brooklyn if I were your age and with some friends visiting NYC - lots of places to eat/drink/etc.

Just a few minutes from Manhattan - timeout.com/newyork/brooklyn/williamsburg-br…

ny
Level Contributor
288 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 couples - where to dine/drink/have a night out?

I love beauty and Essex.great food and cool atmosphere.if you go check out the free champagne in the ladies room.This restaurant is down town but I think it is worth the cab ride.You have to book in advance.try opentable.com

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 couples - where to dine/drink/have a night out?

<If not, I'd suggest venturing far from it as it is mostly just chain restaurants and stores and, of course, the theaters.>

I agree! Times Square is one of the ugliest areas of the city and the only time we venture there is for the theater. It is utterly charmless.

We stay in Murray Hill most visits as we like the neighborhood. The Affinia Dumont and the Shelburne are both very nice.

Edited: 05 December 2013, 10:52
9. Re: 3 couples - where to dine/drink/have a night out?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 December 2013, 21:20
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 couples - where to dine/drink/have a night out?

I'm actually going to Norway at the end of January so this is a fun exchange of info for me to recommend places in my native NYC!

Williamsburg is fun but a pain to get to especially if the L train isn't running (which it often isn't). There's a ton of fun places in Manhattan. I agree with a previous poster that LES and the village are a blast at night. Young 20s I would say hit up the LES for sure. Hair of the Dog is a fun bar, I like Coopers in the East Village...honestly the list is endless. If you go to Hair of the Dog it's around about 20 bars and there's an awesome very NYC local place called The Meatball Shop on Stanton Street that's awesome for post-bar food if you have the energy. (They're open til 2am on week nights, 4 Pam on weekends).

Hells Kitchen is just west of Times Square. Also fun - little more mature crowd perhaps, less "happening." Meatpacketing District is always fun, trendy...Chelsea Market is around Meatpacking hotspot (at the edge of Chelsea) and a fun tourist spot for the day, next to the High Line.

I happen to love Times Square, and I say that as a NYer. There's something really magical and quintessentially NYC about it. I love sitting on top of the steps at TKTS sometimes to simply people watch. If you are in town on a Sunday book reservations for Sunday brunch at Blue Fin. It is at the W hotel Times Sq...brunch is awesome there. For about $20 per person (great price for Sunday brunch in Manhattan) you get an alcoholic drink, coffee/tea, awesome bread/pastries and a great entree. Okay, I digress...but seriously it's one of my favorite things! I could go on about this forever....and I could recommend awesome places to eat for all typed of meals/budgets.

Please feel free to message me for more info - I'm happy to help! (This is actually my first post in the forums here...I hope I'm allowed to say to message me.)

Edited: 06 December 2013, 09:57