We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still Struggling For Restaurants Over Christmas

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Still Struggling For Restaurants Over Christmas

I have posted before and was recommended some useful sites for restaurants for Christmas Day and Christmas Eve. I'm still struggling to find anything hat isn't booked up though. For Xmas Eve am looking for quaint, maybe italian, close to times square. On Christmas Day I was looking for soemwhere which offered both vegetarian and steak/French cuisine with a nice setting. Am happy to pay up to 75/95 dollars per person.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have looked at opentable and it's great but I don't know which restaurants to choose!

I have also looked at Bryant Park Grill but their veggie options are limited and they have no email address to contact them for cooking off menu.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Bryant Park Grill
Bryant Park Grill
1,472 Reviews
New York City, NY
Special Offer
Madame Tussauds New York
149 Reviews
from US$31.49*
US$37.03
Hard Rock Cafe Prix-Fixe Menu in New...
14 Reviews
from US$32.49*
Special Offer
New York Double Decker Bus Night Tour
150 Reviews
from US$29.00*
US$49.00
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,676 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Still Struggling For Restaurants Over Christmas

Well, I have suggested Cafe Loup before - you can look over their menu; they do their regular menu plus, I think, a special holiday meal on Christmas. They are in the village - 13th Street, near 6th Avenue.

http://www.cafeloupnyc.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still Struggling For Restaurants Over Christmas

Lattanzi is one restaurant in Hell's Kitchen so not far from Times Square and it's Italian but they only stay open til 8 I think on Xmas Eve. Right now the only reservation available on opentable is for 5:30. If you're going to the theater, this may be fine for you. If you don't mind eating early but would prefer a bit later, you can phone them and see if they have a table for later. Other Italians in that general area that people like

Maria Pia

Trattoria Trecolori

La Masseria

Basso56

Azalea

Many Italian restaurants do a feast of the 7 fishes dinner on Xmas Eve, an Italian custom. Is that ok with you or will your veggie have a problem? Opentable has a short list of Italian restaurants taking reservations for NYE. Not near Times Square, Da Andrea is an Italian Ziggy and Kateoz like that might be an option. You'd have to phone them. Can't tell if they will be open. Otto's in Greenwich Village is taking reservations for that night on opentable.

For Xmas, Balthazar sounds like the answer to steak and veggie but it's so well known it may already be booked. It's noisy/busy/buzzy. Is that ok? Their sister restaurant Pastis is another idea in the meatpacking district. You might also contact David Burke Townhouse. They normally have a veggie menu but don't have it listed for Xmas. I'm sure they would offer it if you request it and like the regular menu. It's a festive place.

http://www.davidburketownhouse.com/menus.php

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,477 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
43,378 Reviews
New York City, NY
Trattoria Trecolori
Trattoria Trecolori
2,291 Reviews
New York City, NY
La Masseria
La Masseria
1,648 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hell's Kitchen
Hell's Kitchen
249 Reviews
New York City, NY
Balthazar
Balthazar
5,600 Reviews
New York City, NY
Maria Pia
Maria Pia
601 Reviews
New York City, NY
Lattanzi Ristorante
Lattanzi Ristorante
669 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still Struggling For Restaurants Over Christmas

I typed NYE above but meant Xmas Eve.;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Still Struggling For Restaurants Over Christmas

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm going to check all of the suggestions out tonight!

Nywhiz - the veggie doesn't eat fish and is a bit fussy! I would be happy with American in a nice setting - there are just so many restaurants it seems hard to narrow it down! I will look at all those suggested tonight as would like to get booked asap!

Thanks again x

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Still Struggling For Restaurants Over Christmas

I would also suggest if you are still having problems is to contact your hotel and see what they can do for you...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Still Struggling For Restaurants Over Christmas

Gramercy Tavern is another place to check. One of NYC's best and will do veggie.

Mentioned in this post
Gramercy Tavern
Gramercy Tavern
3,321 Reviews
New York City, NY
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,559 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Still Struggling For Restaurants Over Christmas

Look at Wallse and Ai Fiori. Looks like they are open and have some availability for both days. Wallse is in the West Village

Edited: 02 December 2013, 14:35
Mentioned in this post
West Village
West Village
1,368 Reviews
New York City, NY
Al Fiori
Al Fiori
825 Reviews
New York City, NY
Wallse
Wallse
154 Reviews
New York City, NY
London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Still Struggling For Restaurants Over Christmas

Thank you so much for all your suggestions - greatly appreciated.

Wrexham, North Wales
Level Contributor
912 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Still Struggling For Restaurants Over Christmas

My husband and I are in the city for Christmas & New Year and we have our restaurants booked for 24th & 25th and for NYE. But it was a struggle to find somewhere that suited our needs, right menu choices, location etc, so I know where you are coming from. I found Open Table really helpful - this link should take you to the Christmas section : -

www.opentable.com/promo.aspx…

I spent hours of this!! :)

For info, we have reservations at the following places for various days during our trip...

http://theplaceny.com/

http://friendofafarmerny.com/

http://www.basso56.com/

http://cibonyc.com/

All of which are open on the various holiday days. Check out the website, as well as open table for reviews and locations

It is worth spending the time to research - it will be worth it once you are there... :)

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,055 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Still Struggling For Restaurants Over Christmas

You say many of the venues are 'booked up' - is that info coming from open table.com - if so, check with the restaurant directly as they give a certain number of reservations to OT and may have openings after all.

Also, Eater.com usually has a listing of restaurants open on the holidays!

Good luck.

Poppa