We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodside or East Village

Perth, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Woodside or East Village

Hi we are a group of 4 over 30s going to New York for the first time. Have found 2 great apartments to accomodate but can't work out which area is best. We are going the last week in July. 1 is in Woodside and the other is in East Village. Which is easiest to get around in and which has the best locatl evening entertainment - pubs, restaurants etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woodside or East Village

If you are there for less than 30 days and renting an apartment, you know that is illegal in the state of New York. Read the 2nd question on the right hand column under Top Questions about New York City. Do give your budget and requirements and you will get help finding something legal. You are also possibly getting scammed. You don't want to arrive in New York and have No place to stay.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woodside or East Village

Woodside is kinda far from the action.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woodside or East Village

Apartment rentals for less than 30 days are illegal with only a few exceptions. Also remember that the majority of bldgs have doormen that may not let you enter and / or neighbors that will report your presence.

Also, every bldg has the 'rules' for the bldg and in most cases each bldg will not allow short term rentals, subletting w/o owners approval or bldg approval. I live in a similar bldg and we can't rent out our condos for less than 1 year to a secondary party.

Bottom line, look to stay in a hotel.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 04:52
Perth, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Woodside or East Village

how do you find out if the apartment you have been offered has an exception? Hotels are very expensive

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woodside or East Village

Ang - bottom line you won't be able to. The 'vast' majority of apartments in NYC are in high rise bldg. All of those are illegal to rent for less than 30 days. There is an actual LAW that says so. And as said, each bldg has addtional rules that you don't want to have to try to get around.

The only exceptions are in small houses / brownstones where the owner lives and has no more than 3 other apts. They are just almost non-existent in NYC anymore in Manhattan. The ones that do exist are usually not in Manhattan and are further out with not good public transportation options for tourists,

The locals will be along to help you if you give your budget per night, dates of visit and how many beds you need. They are really good at helping people find hotels to stay.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woodside or East Village

And, by the way, NYC is filled with scam apartments. Have a read through this and it will give you a good idea:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6235720…

Perth, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Woodside or East Village

thanks folks I think I'm ok because both are townhouses with less than 3 other apts. If there is nothing in Woodside think East Village wins. Appreciate your assistance and great support you give to others in this minefield

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,748 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Woodside or East Village

Ah ,well. At least the weather in July will be decent enough if you end up on the street...

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Woodside or East Village

How about providing links to both places. I DO know there were some legal places in Woodside. I had gone and checked them out years ago. If so, they are close to the subway and Manhattan.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,527 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Woodside or East Village

While Woodside is farther out it's not Siberia. It is a diverse community with lots of good places to eat and pretty good subway connections to Manhattan. (Once the legality question is settled, IMO, it depends on your priorities and sense of adventure.) From either location you will be traveling all over the city to see the sights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodside,_Queens