We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a few quick questions...

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
241 posts
267 reviews
Save Topic
Just a few quick questions...

We are going to be in NYC from May 4th to the 8th. I have been to NYC before but it was about 10 years ago (when I was in high school) and my husband has never been.

Our hotel is the Hampton Inn on the South Side of Times Square. What is the easiest way to get from Laguardia to our hotel?

We do plan on going to a few shows. I know I checked TKTS and there were several I wanted to see (dragging my husband) including:

Once

Spider Man: Turn Off the Dark

Matilda The Musical

Cinderella

Big Fish

Aladdin

Do you think those will still be available on TKTS in May? I did check and it looks like they are at least running until then. So hopefully they don't get cancelled before then.

Also on the subway, I see there is a 7 day pass but not any shorter amounts of time. So I assume we would just have to pay per trip?

We are kind of budget travelers so is there ways to save as much money as possible? Like tickets to get into events and what other events would be free or really cheap? We probably won't be hitting up any of the nice restaurants or anything like that but would love to get bagels and NY style pizza.

How often do John Stewart/Colbert tickets get released? And is it worth it to try and go?

I think that is all of my questions for now. Sorry for posting so many questions, I am sure you have answered similar ones multiple times. I am just hoping to get a general idea and I have seen other similar questions but they were always a little different and didn't exactly answer my questions.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
43,349 Reviews
New York City, NY
Aladdin - The Musical
Aladdin - The Musical
2,324 Reviews
New York City, NY
Stewart Hotel
Stewart Hotel
5,762 Reviews
New York City, NY
LaGuardia Airport
LaGuardia Airport
East Elmhurst, NY
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,016 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just a few quick questions...

You can buy the 7 day pass and use it for 4 days. I could be cheaper than paying per ride. It depends on how much you use the subway.

New York
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just a few quick questions...

Spiderman closes in January. Big Fish closes in December.

Aladdin might be tricky to get tickets for, depending on how well it's reviewed. After all, The Lion King still plays to sold out audiences!

Mentioned in this post
Aladdin - The Musical
Aladdin - The Musical
2,324 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Lion King
The Lion King
8,680 Reviews
New York City, NY
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
241 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just a few quick questions...

Like next month January? :-( I checked probably 6 weeks ago. I was hoping to see that one out of all of them.

Edit: I just looked. Apparently it is going to Vegas.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 22:33
Mentioned in this post
San Frantastic
Level Contributor
949 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just a few quick questions...

You can pay whatever you want to at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. They "suggest" $25, but that amount is not required. It's certainly a great bargain if you decide to pay only a dollar or so. In fact, I think you can still get in if you pay nothing at all.

Mentioned in this post
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Metropolitan Museum...
47,673 Reviews
New York City, NY
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,397 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just a few quick questions...

Here is the article from TripAdvisor about getting tickets - especially discounts. Once & Cinderella will be on discount if they are still open. Matilda & Aladdin may not be discounted. Discounts are usually posted around the month or so before a given performance. Check several discounters as not all have the same deals.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c1146/New-York…

Mentioned in this post
Aladdin - The Musical
Aladdin - The Musical
2,324 Reviews
New York City, NY
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
241 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just a few quick questions...

Can you get TKTS tickets discounted in advanced? Or is it just day of?

I am really curious what is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel. Any suggestions?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just a few quick questions...

Looks like your hotel is on 39th between 8th and 9th Avenues. From LGA, take the Q70 Express bus to its one and only stop, the Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Ave subway station where you will transfer to the E train. The E train stops in the Port Authority/42nd St station, walk a couple blocks to your hotel. You can buy the 7 day Unlimited Metro cards at a machine inside LGA Terminal B right by the bus stop. The trip will then be "free," included in your Unlimited rides.

TKTS are day off only, but BroadwayBox.com sometimes has discount codes where you can buy tickets in advance. In my opinion, if it's a show you really want to see, splurging in advance for some good seats is the way to go.

Mentioned in this post
The Roosevelt Hotel
The Roosevelt Hotel
9,757 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hotel Metro
Hotel Metro
4,380 Reviews
New York City, NY
LaGuardia Airport
LaGuardia Airport
East Elmhurst, NY
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,397 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just a few quick questions...

If you look at the article I posted, there are online site where you can get tickets in advance at a discount. Check a few because not every discounter has the same rates.

As for the post that you don't pay the suggested rate at the Met Museum. The suggested rate is $25 & the cost of your going through the door (especially if you stay several hours) is $50. Do you really want the museum to go away because they have no money to keep it open?????? Sorry, but I hate it when posters suggest that you play it cheap just because you can. Pay what you can afford. It that means the whole shot pay that. The hours you'll spend in the museum is worth it.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
241 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just a few quick questions...

Since we have luggage would taking the bus be an issue? Wasn't sure it would be easier to take a cab depending on the cost.

Edited: 05 December 2013, 20:03
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
17,951 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just a few quick questions...

The Q70 bus is an express bus from LAG to subway/train connections. Riders with luggage is expected.

The TKTS booths only sell tickets for that days performances. Popular shows may not have any tickets to send over. For info on other ways to find discounts discounts see the link provided in the message above.

Regarding admission to the Met, a previous poster was misinformed. You can pay any amount, but you must pay something. Pay as much as you can.