We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying IPAD in NEW York

Lincoln, UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Buying IPAD in NEW York

Hi

I am coming to NYC next week...so excited.

We are coming from England and I need to buy an IPAD4 for my son.

Does anyone know the prices at the moment?

Where to buy one? Cheapest? Airport? Best buy, independents?

Any issues with using it in the UK? (the model required is just the Wireless version, not a sim).

Prices availalbiluity etc would be great.

Thanks

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying IPAD in NEW York

Apple store/Best Buy/Tekserve/BH Photo/etc all have iPads.

I would not buy from an independent aka small shops that you will see around NYC. Just check the sites for the listings above for pricing.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying IPAD in NEW York

The iPad 4 doesn't exist any longer, as it was recently updated.

Also, you'll be pushing your customs allowance over as you're liable for VAT / Duty etc when you get back to the UK on all the iPad Air models apart from the most basic model.

So, the 16gb iPad air works out to be around £339 at the moment, compared to £399 in the UK. You'll need a power adaptor for an iPad which is £15, which will reduce your savings even further. This gives you a saving of £45. Is it really worth it?

If you want anything other the 16GB iPad Air with wifi, then you'll be liable to 20% VAT when you enter the UK as your allowance is £390 per person, and therefore more expensive.

M

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying IPAD in NEW York

The iPad 4 doesn't exist any longer, as it was recently updated.

Also, you'll be pushing your customs allowance over as you're liable for VAT / Duty etc when you get back to the UK on all the iPad Air models apart from the most basic model.

So, the 16gb iPad air works out to be around £339 at the moment, compared to £399 in the UK. You'll need a power adaptor for an iPad which is £15, which will reduce your savings even further. This gives you a saving of £45. Is it really worth it?

If you want anything other the 16GB iPad Air with wifi, then you'll be liable to 20% VAT when you enter the UK as your allowance is £390 per person, and therefore more expensive.

+1

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,106 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying IPAD in NEW York

Apple still has ipad 4. You will see them on the apple.com website. If you are 100% sure you want it--I would pre-order, if possible so it is held for you at a store. They are slightly less than the new ipad Air--and when they are gone....that will be it.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying IPAD in NEW York

B&H also has the 4th gen iPad for ~£256:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ipad+4&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

It's also a fun place to check out and very trustworthy.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
126 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying IPAD in NEW York

Actually the iPad 4 is officially discontinued. The iPad 2 non retina is still available with 16 gb...you might find a 4 at an unauthorized store or refurbished,...but when shopping at unauthorized, let the buyer beware !

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying IPAD in NEW York

If B&H is selling the 4th gen (which according to the site they are, but only at the store) they are doing so with Apple's blessing (they are an Apple Authorized Reseller and one of the largest electronics superstores worldwide).

Edited: 05 December 2013, 15:55
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying IPAD in NEW York

If the 4 is around, then it's the rest of the stock that is remaining... It's a discontinued model and not available brand new on the apple site or at apple stores. I've looked at the apple store online and only see the iPad 2 and iPad Air.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying IPAD in NEW York

I'm sure that's the case - they are selling off the remaining stock, but only at the store.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
126 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying IPAD in NEW York

B and h and a few others are authorized re-sellers of apple products and valued partners of apple...it is the "unauthorized" that create problems for the consumer