We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer

first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2015, 18:12
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,111 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
994 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timer

I'm in the same boat as you - but on another forum post a couple of people mentioned that it would be helpful for first timers to get a NYC guidebook, I thought that was a good idea and I'm going out to get one in a couple of hours...just thought I'd share that info incase you think a guidebook may be helpful for you too...good luck with your research!

2. Re: first timer

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

los angeles
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: first timer

WHere do you get the NY Guidebook?

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: first timer

You get NYC guidebooks (and there are many of them) in bookstores or on Amazon. I happen to like Lonely Planet because by reading it you will learn some of the history of the place you are visiting. Many tourists like Frommer's.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: first timer

Also, on the full-size website for TA (not the mobile one for your phone), look to the right where you will see the top questions asked about NYC, trip ideas, and even trip reports from other travelers. In a city like Los Angeles, you should also be able to track down magazines like Time Out NY and New York Magazine, which can tell you what is happening here. They both have websites. So does the Village Voice, the Daily News, and the New York Times. There's also a site called Gothamist, and Chowhound has a whole forum where people discuss the best places to find food in New York.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timer

When you say you're staying "on Broadway", do you mean in Times Square? Broadway runs the length of Manhattan. It doesn't matter too much, though, because you'll probably be near a subway stop and can get wherever you want to go...

As others have suggested, you should read a guidebook and/or do research on the internet. Once you have an idea of the things you want to see and places you want to visit, look at a map and group them together by location. After you've come up with a draft itinerary, feel free to post it and we can help you to refine it and give further suggestions! :)

It can snow in January, and it can also be sunny but bitterly cold. But it can be relatively mild as well. It really is quite variable, and you'll just have to keep your eye on the forecast as your departure date nears.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,534 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timer

No one thinks of this but... Public LIbraries have free copies of NYC tour books for you to borrow: 917.471 is the Dewey Decimal System number for them

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,928 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: first timer

I have suggested going to your local library and check out the travel section for information concerning venues to which you are planning to visit.

Guidebooks are especially helpful as many have sample itineraries that are very helpful in planning g a trip.

And yes, it does snow in January! (weather.com)

Not to say if will when you are in town, just stating a fact.

Also, I don't know why people just don't name the hotel and its address where they have made reservations - that would be very helpful in getting good suggestions.

Poppa

Edited: 06 December 2013, 15:34
9. Re: first timer

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first timer

North of DC - The OP is from the UK and needs a guidebook prior to their visit

Good thinking though!