We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC first timer from the south..

San Antonio, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NYC first timer from the south..

Hey yall! I'm going to NYC dec 27-jan 1.

My mom and I are going for the first time. There's a few things we want to do, but we would like some suggestions because we don't really know...

We're staying in New Jersey, and plan on taking a shuttle or something in to the city.

Can you please give me suggestions on where we should eat, what we should see, places to avoid, anything.

We're looking to not spend too much money.

Also what about weather suggestion. I'm from Louisiana, so I don't know what real cold is. Haha. What should I pack? Help!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC first timer from the south..

Where are you staying, exactly? What hotel and how much are you paying? And what airport are you flying into? Your choice of hotels may not be optimal

It could be cold and rainy here that time of year. Do you have any winter clothing?

Edited: 06 December 2013, 17:10
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC first timer from the south..

Hey y'all - how quaint!

Coming to the big City and going to take a shuttle or "something" from NJ.

What is that 'something'?

Then you want to sightsee and eat - but not spend too much money.......good luck.

Yes, NYC is generally colder that Louisiana so you would have to pack warm clothes.

The first suggestion I have is visit a library and check out the travel section pertaining on travel

to NYC - do some research and plan what YOU want to see. Many guidebooks have sample itineraries to help plan trips.

Secondly, food - 20,000+ restaurants in the metro area - many cuisines, priced from reasonable to outrageous..

For weather - weather.com is a good site to check on conditions.

So long y'all.......

Poppa

Edited: 06 December 2013, 17:18
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,843 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC first timer from the south..

Definitely review your travel options for commuting in from wherever you are currently planning on staying. Some NJ hotels are in places where the time and money needed to get into the city will eat up any savings you might think you are making by choosing a more distant location.

If you want more specific advice, post dates, arrival airport, number of beds needed, and desired budget and you will get better help from the hotel experts here.

This recent thread about winter clothing should help regarding packing. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7026025…

Edited: 06 December 2013, 17:23
Stamford...
Level Contributor
836 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC first timer from the south..

Are you posting from your phone or from a computer? On your computer there's a list of frequently asked questions to the right of the screen and that will give you informtion about things to see. It's hard to tell anyone you don't know what they should do with their vacation time in the city. It would be a waste of time for me to list my favorite museums for you and have you come back and say "I don't really like museums lol". And it's pretty much the same with food: what kind do you like? We always choose our restaurants by where we're going to be at meal times, since there's good food pretty much everywhere.

I agree, too, that you might want to share more about the whole staying in New Jersey thing. Some hotels & areas work out well for that, some don't.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC first timer from the south..

First of all - staying in New Jersey is generally a terrible idea and will mean a pretty poor first experience. The only places in New Jersey that aren't really terrible (not just optimal) are Jersey City waterfront.

The New York City subway does not serve New Jersey at all and the transportation options for travel between New Jersey and Manhattan do not cover much of the very large and expansive city.

What kind of shuttle do you think you'd take into New York City? New York City isn't a small walkable town like downtown New Orleans and the French Quarter where a suburban hotel may have a shuttle to the French Quarter *or* Orlando where they'll bring you to the entrance for Disney World - this is a much different beast here.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC first timer from the south..

The Newark Courtyard by Marriott and the Hilton are both not bad. The Hilton is right there at the PATH train, and Manhattan is 23 minutes away. for first timers I would recommend the Hilton over the Courtyard.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC first timer from the south..

I agree with everyone else, BTW. You need to do your research.

Having been to New Orleans several times, I can tell you that New York is nothing like it. If you take the entire French Quarter, you could fit it all into the Financial District of Manhattan and have plenty of room left over. The areas of interest to first time tourists in New York would cover the area of all of New Orleans and a bit more.

You've watched TV, I'm sure, and so you may know of places you'd like to visit (watching Law and Order is actually quite good for getting a bit of a mental layout for NYC at large). Think about your interests. Are you a history buff (NYC was a colonial city, after all)? An art maven? A foodie? A shopoholic? A bohemian? A music lover? A sports nut? A romantic? Plan your trip accordingly, and get out that guidebook. Also, fire up Google Maps, which will be a great help.

Right now at 1:30 am, the temp is 30 and feels like 20. That means wool hat, scarves (one for the neck and one for the face), good thick gloves, a couple of sweaters, a down coat (preferably knee length), socks and leggings, a long skirt or pants, and low heeled boots or sneakers with good traction, with a pair of rain or snow boots (again, with good traction) just in case. Pretend it's a snow ski trip. We're actually expecting snow tonight, and sleet tomorrow, mixed with freezing rain (also, bring an umbrella).

Things will cost about 25% more here than they do where you live. You will eat more cheaply if you do smaller restaurants, food trucks, street food and small ethnic restaurants near the various colleges.

I have no idea of your budget, what kind of food you and your mother like, or anything, so this is as much as I can tell you. I can tell you however that this isa fast-paced area, and you will have more fun if you have a sense of humor, don't overplan, step outside of Times Square to eat and walk, and look at a map to get a basic idea of what sights are where in relation to each other and where you are staying.

To really save money, stay away from the tour passes, get a 7-day Metrocard to use on the bus and subway, and start looking at Time Out New York and Gothamist for free and cheap things to do. Both are online. Also, download apps to your phone or tablet that are New York-related, so that you can have a subway map information on museums, and so on. It's s good idea to ask questions of your concierge/desk captain when you get to your hotel, too, about things to do indoors if it rains or snows. This city doesn't shut down just because the weather is bad.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,037 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC first timer from the south..

I'm guessing that your Mom has figured out the transportation aspects of your trip, and that you are here looking for ideas about what to do.

There are lots of free things to do in NYC. You'll be doing a lot of walking, so be sure to bring a heavy coat that is roomy enough to wear layers underneath (e.g. an extra sweater or fleece). For shoes, COMFORTABLE walking shoes with a good grippy tread in case you have a bit of ice or snow and thick socks.

Some ideas of FREE and low cost things to do:

- See the big holiday window displays. Here's a map: …about.com/od/christmassights/ss/Christmas-W…

- Grand Central Terminal. Self guided audio tour: www.grandcentralterminal.com/info/tours Also there's a Christmas Market there and a good food hall

- See Times Square at night

- RIde the Staten Island Ferry (free). See distant views of the Statue of Liberty

- Walk the Highline. Stop in Chelsea Market for a meal (avoid prime times as it gets crowded). Lots of food options, including cheap ones. Note that this is where Food Network is, though they don't have tours.

- Walk around Greenwich Village

- Walk around Soho. Great shopping there too (NOT free though!)

- Explore Central Park. Ice skating

- Rockefeller Center tree and ice skating

- Bryant Park holiday market (also with a tree and ice skating)

- Walk the Brooklyn Bridge (towards Manhattan for best views)

- Explore Chinatown. Grab some "cheap eats".

The Met Museum of Art is "pay what you wish", but really you should pay the suggested donation. It's a world class museum and really very extraordinary. It's not all decorative arts. A lot of exhibits are really more about cultural history (e.g. Ancient Egypt, Armour, etc.)

Look at other museums too. Some have free entry times, but lines can be long. Paying admission isn't super expensive so you might want to go the regular time.

There are loads of other options. Check the Top Questions section. Also check these links: timeout.com/newyork/…free-things-to-do-in-nyc

For food, WOW there are thousands of options. Think about particular things you want to eat. NYC has really good pizza, bagels, Jewish deli (especially pastrami!), hot dogs, lots of great Asian specialties, great pasta and other Italian food, and a host of other stuff. It's an opportunity to try something different or something familiar but done REALLY well.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC first timer from the south..

I've also been to New Orleans and Baton Rouge. NYC is nothing like those places, though you can probably find decent Cajun food in NYC. NYC has everything. You will be amazed at how crowded and busy everything is. So much going on.

Consider staying in Manhattan. If you got a cheap deal in NJ, it's likely not so great. Figure out the commuting cost and time. Look at the reviews for your hotel here. If it's not in a good area, don't stay there. My rule is that if I can't afford to stay in a decent hotel in NYC, I don't go.

If you put in three travelers on Hotwire, you can see discount rooms with two beds. ( Even though there are only two of you, you put in three so that the website will show rooms that can accommodate 3. ). Look on Hotwire for midtown or financial district upper east side, etc.

That's my advice.

Edited: 08 December 2013, 15:41
10. Re: NYC first timer from the south..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 05:16