We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas shopping in NYC

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas shopping in NYC

I'm in New York next week (Mon 16th Dec through Fri 20th Dec) and just wondered how busy the shops usually get at this time of year. Are there normally queues to get into stores? Is it so rammed you can barely move?

We'll be visiting Fifth Avenue, Macy's etc...but nothing too high end!

Thanks!

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas shopping in NYC

Usually no queues to get into stores - you will be able to move, it'll be crowded.

Don't forget the Christmas Markets, Union Square, Grand Central Terminal, Bryant Park et al....

Have fun!

Poppa

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas shopping in NYC

The only queue that I have ever seen to get into a store was at Abercrombie & Fitch a few years ago...when they were popular.

It won't be "rammed." As noted above,...it will be crowded but there are many places to shop...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas shopping in NYC

Sadly, ter, there are still queues to get into Abercombie and Fitch. God knows why. And also to get into Hollister, sometimes,

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas shopping in NYC

Thanks for the replies! London can get pretty busy around Christmas time, more so in the towns on the outskirts (where I live it is crazy at the weekends!).

Looking forward to seeing all the Christmas markets too - it's actually my birthday during the trip so double the fun!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,190 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas shopping in NYC

On weekdays, stores will be busier after 5pm and during lunch time. That's when lots of folks who work "regular hours" will be shopping for gifts. Crowds shouldn't be horrible though.

If you want to shop at night, I'll bet shopping a bit later will be better than right at 5-7pm. That "after work" time period will have locals shopping as well as those who commute to the city for work.

6. Re: Christmas shopping in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2014, 05:16