We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help for first timers please

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help for first timers please

Hi we come to NY next week ,just me and the wife , we have 4 nights from the 12th and would appreciate help building an itinerary that means we are not heading from one end of Manhattan to the other and wasting time (kinda need to put things in order) , here's what I have so for

arrive on the 12th on a late flight by the time we get to hotel (Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel )and get checked in planning on seeing TS at night and that's about it , maybe buy our 7 day metro card ready for use next day

second day (13th), get breakfast and head out and get our bearings , need to fill this day

third day (14th) I have already brought tickets for SOL first crossing at 9.30am so need to be there for around 9am , after this need to fill this day

forth day (15th) have booked a time slot of 10.30am for the 911 memorial , need to fill this day , have 2 tickets to see wicked at 8pm

5th day (16th) fly home flight leaves at 18.55hrs so a good half a day to do things , unsure what

I have tickets for ESB to use when ever , other must do things are walk the Brooklyn bridge , unsure which day to do this as we also would like to go to Brooklyn flea if possible , fit in xmas shopping , central park , love food so really looking forward to trying some real NY food , pastrami , pizza's etc. etc. ,

we have a 5 hour time difference here in the uk (NY is 5 hrs behind us) we visited Las Vegas and Florida in the summer and I suffered terrible jet lag, im expected I may get it again and need to head back to our hotel around 3-5pm ish each day for a 1-2 hour nap otherwise I will be falling a sleep at 9pm so need to account for this

im sure theres other things we want to do but now im writing it my head is going blank so any help in building days and any tips would be much appreciated

Brooklyn Flea

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,307 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help for first timers please

With either a paper map or something like google maps, plot everything you want to see--it will become apparent how to group your activities.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,304 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help for first timers please

I'm looking forward to seeing your plans once you make them based on Andee's idea of using a map - either hardcopy or online. Then we can see if what you're thinking is doable and sensible....

At this stage just pop one of your big 'to do things' against each afternoon...ie Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge and shopping. Do Brooklyn Bridge on Day 3 or 4 as you're near there both days given your existing bookings to the 9/11 Memorial and the SoL. That'll be enough for you if you need that nap each day.

And see Frangipani's great thread for this...there's even a map for the Christmas decorations.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6976…

You could do shopping and decorations and trees at night after your nap.

Cheerio for now.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,111 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help for first timers please

Brooklyn Flea is indoors during winter. It runs Sat and Sun. Perhaps others can chime in about whether it's worth the trip to the indoor winter venue. It may not have as many vendors or as much appeal as the outdoor event.

Keep in mind that there are several Holiday Markets in Manhattan. That might be a better choice. Bryant Park, for example. Also an indoor market in Grand Central Terminal, plus others.

You will be in lower Manhattan on both day 3 and day 4. You could do Katz's Deli (pastrami!) and/or Brooklyn Bridge on either of those days. Try to get to Katz's at a non-primetime if possible. There may be long lines, but they do tend to move fairly quickly. Chinatown would also be convenient to explore. Also Soho and Greenwich Village.

There is so little daylight in December. Don't take a nap from 3-5 each day! If you must nap, wait until 5pm then have dinner at 8pm. It's also generally warmer in the afternoons than in the morning, so 3pm is prime time for outdoor walking.

4. Re: Itinerary help for first timers please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 05:17