We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Accomodation

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
New York Accomodation

Hi, We're going to NYC on the 7th of Feb, we're a family of 4 with kids 8&9. My son will turn 8 on the 9th :-) We're meeting 2 other families and traveling from Australia. Budget will be up to $200 a night. Don't really want to stay somewhere mega busy but plan to do all the usual stuff, museums, art galleries, Central Park etc. Happy to use the train but would like to be fairly central. I'm not good with too many choices. Also the hotels site is saying its a busy week, but can't see what's on.

Thanks Shelly

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,248 Reviews
New York City, NY
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,066 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Accomodation

You might try the Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City, a short subway ride from Manhattan, but less expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Accomodation

While it's not a super quiet neighborhood, I like to suggest the Courtyard Midtown East simply because the rooms are spacious compared to other standard hotel rooms with 2 Queen beds / it's a good location and reasonably priced. I don't know how many days you are going for, but right now it's possible to get the 2 Queen beds room for as little as $ 142 per night on average (before tax). I've sent you a PM. you can also look at places such as Hilton Garden Inn / Hampton Inn, but I believe their standard rooms are not as large I may be wrong... Not sure about the rates, as I've not checked.

Edited: 08 December 2013, 00:02
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,542 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Accomodation

$200/night for a room for 4 is a pretty low budget but there are some decent options. It's more typical in NYC to find 2 double beds vs. 2 queens. I agree the Courtyard Midtown East is a great option with 2 queen beds and within your budget. The location is also very central but not extremely hectic. For $213/night plus tax if you prepay you can get the Affinia Dumont which would give you a kitchen. (it's an apt. style hotel) Another apt. style hotel that would be great is the Best Western Hospitality. They are all 1 bedroom suites (separate living room) and include full breakfast in the room rate AND you get a full kitchen. I would contact them directly for a price. Look on kayak.com for prices on multiple websites. (for negotiating knowledge ;)

Edited: 08 December 2013, 00:22
Mentioned in this post
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Accomodation

You could also have a look at Affinia Dumont. They have spacious rooms and generally great reviews as they are in the top 100 Tripadvisor hotels for NYC (personally, I'm slightly skeeved out at several reviews that mentioned cockroach- I've looked through the reviews and seen 3, but then it may be just fine).I am seeing rates below 200 and the rooms would probably be even more spacious than the Courtyard Midtown East Option, although just a touch bit more expensive... still well within your budget. I personally prefer the location of the Courtyard. YMMV. If you like space, the Affinia would be a good choice.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Level Contributor
9,590 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York Accomodation

I've stayed at the Affinia Dumont 8 times over the past few years and have never seen a roach or any other critter there. It's a spotlessly clean hotel, well located for the subway, and places to eat. The rooms are very large and have kitchens.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York Accomodation

Only mentioned it because I've seen it in mentioned several reviews (are they reliable - don't know, but they weren't from reviewers with just one review)... I would not tell someone to not go there based on that just because the hotel obviously has very, very good reviews overall. It just skeeves me out though, so I mentioned it.

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New York Accomodation

Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated. I took 4 kids to the Taylor Swift concert last night so anything that makes this easier is fantastic :-) I had looked at the Affinia Dumont as an option and the Marriott looks great, will look at the other options later today and probably book tomorrow. Let me know if you ever need any help with ideas if visiting Oz :-)

Shelly

8. Re: New York Accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 05:17