We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary v.2- think we're about there!

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
908 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary v.2- think we're about there!

Hi everyone!

I think we have out itinerary in pretty good order with three weeks until we travel! However, before starting to buy tickets for things I thought it might be wise to post this draft, just to check it makes sense :)

Also, we haven't planned many meals so far so if you can suggest food places in the areas we're visiting it'd be appreciated. We're not fine dining types so more casual places would work for us. My other half is a big Italian fan, I'm a big fan of spicy food. We both love Indian/morrocan. I don't eat seafood but my boyfriend loves it.

So here goes:

Arrive Monday 30th dec at 1pm to JFK

Head to our hotel (Wall Street Inn), check in and dump bags.

Go to the subway and get week passes.

Head to Times Square, have some food at Juniors (cheesecake!) and have a wander around.

We're anticipating that we'll be quite tired so planning for an early night.

Tuesday 31st Dec

Wake up early (jet lag)

Head to the Tick Tock Diner for breakfast.

Empire State Building (intend to get there early (8ish) and will be buying the tickets in advance and printing the off).

NY Public library

Grand Central station (probably get some food here, apparently lots of choice- any rec's?).

UN tour (was going to book this for 3- do you think this is being a bit unrealistic? Should I book later?).

Nothing else planned in case we need a nap.

Plan to go to Central Park for the NYE fireworks.

Any recommendations for a bar that sells food/casual restaurant either nr the hotel or Central Park for before the fireworks?

Wednesday 1st Jan

9am Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island (will be booking before we travel via statuecruises)

Potentially use the afternoon for walking around Greenwich Village/some other area.

Thurs 2nd Jan

Central Park in the morning

AMNH in the afternoon

(No food/evening plans as yet)

Weds 3rd Jan

Day trip to Niagara Falls (flights booked with Delta- I know there's plenty to do in NYC but we haven't got plans to visit the east coast/canada again so felt like it was worth the expense/time/freezing cold)

Sat 4th Jan

No plans for the morning in case we need a lie in- if we're up early, head out early for a wander about!

LES Mafia tour @12-1.30/2

Get the subway to Brooklyn and be at Brooklyn Heights Promenade in time for sunset at 4.30ish.

Pick up Nets tickets

Dinner at SOCO, BK (saw a pic of red velvet waffles and fried chicken, omg!)

7pm Nets game (what time should we aim to get there if the game is at 7?)

Sun 5th Jan

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn flea market

No other plans- open to suggestions

Head to TOTR for sunset (aim to get up there by 4 so we get to see lights/sunset/dark)

Mon 6th Jan

Fly our early for week in the sun.

Arrive back @mignight mon 13th.

Tues 14th Jan

Free day for anything we missed/shopping

Flight home at 9pm

We're so excited and want to get everything we can booked before Xmas, so wanted to check we had things looking in decent shape!

Thanks for all your help! I'm a TR addict and planning this trip has been hard, but awesome with the help of everyone here!

Lyndsey

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary v.2- think we're about there!

If you are picking up the tickets from the Stubhub location, I have never seen more than 10 people in there.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
908 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary v.2- think we're about there!

Good :D

I think we'll play Saturday night by ear then and see what time we get over to BK as to whether we just have a wander around or try and do the Promenade and SOCO. I think we'll have plenty of room the following day to add in anything we miss.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,540 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary v.2- think we're about there!

I live about 1/3 mile from SOCO - no subways around here - closest is half a mile and this area of Fort Greene is not near the Brooklyn Heights Promenade but I suspect you already know that, looking at the map. There is a bus right on DeKalb Avenue (the equivalent of about 5 blocks from SOCO) that you could take if you have brunch at SOCO (bus #38) that will drop you right by Court/Montague Street from which you can walk the six blocks or so to the Promenade. (Note: I don't now if they do brunch on Saturdays).

If you have dinner there instead because you want to see Manhattan from the Promenade at night, same directions (obviously) apply and do book a reservation if so - I think you need them these days for both dinner and brunch.

SOCO is very good - the kind of meal I can have maybe once every year or two - very rich but satisfying; the waffles are good as is the fried chicken but my favorite there is the Mac n'Cheese. Some of the best I have ever had.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
908 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Itinerary v.2- think we're about there!

Thanks Momcat! It did all look a bit spaced out on the map to be getting from the promenade, to atlantic ave, to soco and then to the barclays centre. Thanks for the bus tip!! We were planning on using the subway and our feet to get us everywhere, but I fear my feet might be a bit sore by the end of the week, so the bus might be looking very appealing!

I'll check out SOCO's opening times. I suppose the best time to go might actually be after the flea market and then we can have a slow wander there or jump on a bus (would rather walk and explore a bit!).

I won't lie here, we were planning on getting chicken and waffles AND mac and cheese. I'm hoping all of the walking will make up for all of the eating. Last time I came to NYC, I lost 5lb over the course of the week, I very much doubt this trip will yield similar results :P

15. Re: Itinerary v.2- think we're about there!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 05:17