We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting about in NYC advice needed

Askern, England...
Level Contributor
71 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Getting about in NYC advice needed

We travel to NYC friday morning and are staying at Hotel Belleclaire.

2 adults and 2 teenagers.

We mainly have as must dos to go to Ground Zero,Staten Island Ferry,Chinatown,and The Rockerfeller rink.

My question is are we better with Taxis or the Subway?? Cost wise what are taxi journeys like between these places? and pros/cons of each.?

Some friends went this year and found the subway daunting!!

Any advice would be great thanks in advance Ian

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting about in NYC advice needed

There is only one answer to this question: subway. It's not daunting. But to be prepared, have a look at the Top Question on the right of the forum - How Do I Ride the Subway? Hundreds of people have found these links very useful in understanding the subway.

You can also use www.maps.google.com to get public transit directions from A to B - just click the little train icon to give you public transit instead of driving directions.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,353 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting about in NYC advice needed

You can use www.hopstop.com to get a subway route and compute taxi fares.

A taxi will cost more (and take longer) to the locations you mention.

If you are paying for each ride individually, it will cost your family $10 for a subway trip. Depending on how long you're in NYC, there are cheaper ways to ride the subway.

For example, a taxi to the 9/11 Memorial would probably cost $30, including tip--more if you hit traffic.

I think one of the best things to do in NYC is walk--and you could get to Rockefeller Center in about 35-40 minutes that way.

Whittlesey, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting about in NYC advice needed

Subway is fantastic, easy, quick, safe and inexpensive, how long are you going for? It really is the best way to get around and see Manhattan and also the other Boroughs, Brooklyn, Queens ect.

If you have long enough then a 7 day unlimited metrocard it the best bargain and can can be used on buses as well, you will need one each, the break even point is 13/14 trips.

Askern, England...
Level Contributor
71 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting about in NYC advice needed

Thanks for the tips guys,we are going just for three nights but have early/late flights so nearly 4 full days.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting about in NYC advice needed

You are coming at one of the busiest times of the year. The subway is safe/simple/fast and inexpensive. That's your best bet!

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,108 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting about in NYC advice needed

Whenever I go to NYC, I take the subway. It's faster and cheaper than taxis, imo. I usually buy a 7-day metro card, which is great. One thing to remember: the subway cars will be heated once you board, but the platform where people have to wait isn't heated. Likewise in the summer, the subway cars are air-conditioned, but the platforms aren't.

Askern, England...
Level Contributor
71 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting about in NYC advice needed

Might be a silly question so i apologise if it is!

I tried the Hopstop site as suggested it looks good,but say the 1 train is it clearly marked so you dont get on the 1 train in the wrong direction lol??

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting about in NYC advice needed

The 1 train is clearly marked. You just have to make sure that you get on in the direction hat you are going(ex. uptown or downtown.)

Take a look at this map:

http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html

Australia
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting about in NYC advice needed

I agree - the subway isn't daunting at all. As long as you have an idea of where you currently are, and where you are going, the uptown/downtown should be simple. You'll save lots of time and money travelling this way!

And don't forget that walking can sometimes be a good option too - allows you to see a bit more of the city!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting about in NYC advice needed

Hey Ian:-) The Belleclaire is on the UWS on 77th Street and Broadway.. getting to lower Manhattan will cost you a small bundle.. lots of traffic to go through, etc.. the subway is a straight shot from the 79th Street stop.. nice and easy.. traffic-free;-) To get to Rockefeller rink where Christmas tree is, head over to Riverside Drive and take the M5 bus heading downtown.. nice run.. will leave you right there;-) FWIW, metro card is good for both subway and buses;-) EnjOY!