We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NBC studio tour---worthwhile

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
NBC studio tour---worthwhile

I am taking two twelve year old boys for a NYC weekend. Is this tour any good? Haven't seen any posts about it. Any other TV shows worthwhile for 2 boys this age? What about Blue Man Group or Stomp?

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
NYC Horse Carriage Rides
Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Montreal
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NBC studio tour---worthwhile

I've never been to NY with two teenage boys but I took the NBC tour a couple of years back and found it expensive for what you get. We took a tour of the Rosie O'Donnell set and the Saturday night live set. I don't know if your 12 year olds will find much interest in seeing sets.

There's a museum on the west side called the Intrepid where you can visit a boat and a plane.....people who read this will laugh I am sure! Maybe this will be more up their alley. You should check it out on the Internet or if people who have been there want to reply, they are welcome to do so because I am not being really precise here :)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NBC studio tour---worthwhile

I think a much better tour would be of Yankee Stadium:

…mlb.com/NASApp/…stadium_tours.jsp

The Intrepid is cool, but if you are going after September they are closing for renovations, so check their website for particulars:

www.intrepidmuseum.org/

Another place that is popular is The Sony Wonder Lab, and it is free:

wondertechlab.sony.com/

Shows - the ones you listed would be great, also check Drumstruck.

conn
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NBC studio tour---worthwhile

The CNN tour over the AOL-Time Warner building might be a better bet its a little more high tech than the NBC tour wich is a bit more historical. Then you could stop by the free Samsung exhibit teen's love this.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NBC studio tour---worthwhile

Make sure to take the boys into Central Park! There are so many amazing things to do there. They will likely love the playground just inside the Central Park South and 6th Ave. entrance. While there is an area with things for little kids, it is the water feature (bring a towel and a change of shorts, they will get wet!) and the large rock formations for climbing that entertains 12 year olds. Head to the carousel then up to the boat pond where you can rent remote control sailboats for the boys to sail around. Then head to the lake further north in the lake and rent a row boat for $12.00. It is so much fun. Finally have lunch at the market area of the Loeb Boathouse where they have hot dog or hamburger lunches with fries for only $6.99, a bargain in the area to be sure! I just returned from NYC a few weeks ago having taken 10 twelve year old girls to the city. They loved these activities in Central Park.

The boys will likely enjoy the restaurant Mars 2112. The food is horrible (passable kids meals) but you take a simulator from NYC to Mars to enter the restaurant which has red lighting and aliens wandering. It feels like it belongs at Disney. My gang loves it especially my 10 year old son!

Have a great time with the boys! Moms

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: NBC studio tour---worthwhile

NBC tour is a lot of money for little entertainment, especially for 12 y.o. boys. You look at sets of shows, many of which are no longer on the air or are now filmed elsewhere. The Saturday Night Live set you see through a window. Just doesn't do it for me with boys that age. Central Park information sounds just great. Do that instead and save a lot of money.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NBC studio tour---worthwhile

In addition to the 2 shows you mentioned, tampamom, I can also highly recommend Drumstruck for the boys.

Go City Kids is a great resource; the searchable Events Calendar (which includes listings of activities/programs for kids their age, not just young ones) is especially useful. Here's the URL for the NYC "portal"

http://www.gocitykids.com/?area=197

And I bet they would love "The Beast" hi-speed boat tour :-)

www.circleline42.com/index.ihtml?page=beast

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NBC studio tour---worthwhile

We were in NY in June with our two boys aged 9 & 11. We did the NBC tour but found that being from Australia some of the shows were not well known by us. Our boys found the workings of the studio interesting and enjoyed volunteering for the demonstrations of the green screen. We also visited the Intrepid air/sea museum which my boys loved. Walking on the aircraft carrier and inside a concorded was a real thrill for them. There is also a McDonald's there so that was a good munchy fallback. Nearby we also took a ride on 'The Beast' which is a high speed boat which was a lot of fun. Enjoy :-)

8. Re: NBC studio tour---worthwhile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 13:18