We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temp Move to NYC (civic center) with 3 yo and 12 mo old

Sacramento...
9 posts
Save Topic
Temp Move to NYC (civic center) with 3 yo and 12 mo old

In a few weeks I am going to be in NYC for a few months (husband will be working in the civic center area in downtown) and we will probably in a hotel the whole time. My three year old will probably be going crazy in a hotel room with no toys for that long.

What are some things to do or places to go with little ones? Keeping in mind that it will be freezing (January-April) so outdoor play ground time is limited. My list right now is short with things like a library (kid friendly), indoor play areas, and maybe even a memberships to museums or zoos but I don't even know how to specifically find these things.

Also, how to survive the cold with kids? Being that I am flying in should I buy stuff now and lug it through the airport or buy items there? Will adequate winter clothing be on the shelves in the beginning of January or will Spring clothing be in already? Will I pay outrageous prices if I buy in the city?

<-- freaking out a little.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,972 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Temp Move to NYC (civic center) with 3 yo and 12 mo old

Why won't your three year old have toys? Even if you don't want to pack toys, I promise you can buy kid's toys in New York.

Where will your hotel be?

I buy all of my kid's clothes by mail from Carter's. You'll want to have at least a coat with you when you leave the airport. You can always have other things delivered to the hotel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temp Move to NYC (civic center) with 3 yo and 12 mo old

According to Wikipedia, the Civic Centre is a 10 block area in dowtown Manhattan in the financial district. (Honestly, I had to look it up. This is not a term people use here, fyi)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civic_Center,_Manhattan

While this area used to be non residential, more and more people are living there and there are a lot of families with young children loving in Tribeca, the area just north of it. Here's a website done by a Mother of small children from that area that will give you ideas

http://www.citykiddy.com/

Mommypoppins.com

Is another good website. Century 21 is a huge discount dept store that,s located in that area that will have clothes and maybe toys, I'm not sure. There are LOADS of childrens stores.

My single biggest piece of advice is start using google AND more importantly, google maps.

Maps.google.com

Their feature "search nearby" is invalubale. You plot where you're staying, click search nearby and type into the box that appears; whatever you want from libraries to tourist sites to dry cleaners or pizza places. Think of this trip as a wonderful adventure and use it to explore the city with your kids. Bundle up ( Uniqlo, the Japanese store with several locations, has great down coats and jackets at good prices along with turtle necks and other tops made of a fabric that keeps you warm). The Museum of Natural Histor and the Chikdren's Museum right near it are very popukar with kids.

You can read your 3 year old the Eloise books about living in the Plaza hotel. Maybe watch the Muppets Take Manhattan and find the places from the movie.

Timeoutny.com

Also has a kids, section.

Edited: 12 December 2013, 12:36
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temp Move to NYC (civic center) with 3 yo and 12 mo old

A hotel? WHy arent they putting you in a corporate apartment, considering that you have 2 kids?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temp Move to NYC (civic center) with 3 yo and 12 mo old

Rereading your questions:

Buy some now so you have enough warm things and neccessities for at least 3 days. What you will be lugging will be kids. The "stuff" will be in auitcases.

You dont need to buy memberships to anything to enter once. If you find some of the places hold particular interest for the kids and offer memeberships, you can decide then. I also wonder whether you actually need to be here for the full 3 months. You might want to let your husband get settled first and then meet him a week or two or three later. Not my businesss, but it's a thought. I also agree that a corporate apt. or even an apt. hotel like the Affinia Dumont might be better for you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temp Move to NYC (civic center) with 3 yo and 12 mo old

The Conrad Hotel in the financial district is an all suite hotel.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,848 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temp Move to NYC (civic center) with 3 yo and 12 mo old

Pack up some of your kids' favorite toys and give them to somebody mail the day after you leave.

And take a deep breath and relax. Loads of kids live in NYC and survive winters and as you can see from other posts, there are options.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,976 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temp Move to NYC (civic center) with 3 yo and 12 mo old

There are plenty of children who live in NYC. They have toys. Why would you buy them in California--the stores are all here in NYC ( we are civilized you know) and when done, you can always donate them to needy kids. It will NOT be freezing the entire January to April. AND, unless it is below 40 or so, there is no reason why you can not go outside. In fact, you will find plenty of bundled up kids playing outside.

Winter clothing is still easily available in all stores in January. It should all be on sale!

I think you will find that NYC is not a hard place to be. I do agree with those that you need either a corporate apartment or a two bedroom suite hotel, BTW you do not have to be in exactly the same place your husband is. Very few New Yorkers walk to work. There is nothing wrong if he takes a train and travels 1/2 hour ( or less) to work each day.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temp Move to NYC (civic center) with 3 yo and 12 mo old

**<-- freaking out a little.**

I don't understand....do the kids have some toys at home? Can't you put some in your luggage and bring them with you to NY?

9. Re: Temp Move to NYC (civic center) with 3 yo and 12 mo old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 December 2013, 15:35
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,537 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Temp Move to NYC (civic center) with 3 yo and 12 mo old

OK, you need to prepare yourself to get out and about with your kids. It can be an adventure for you all with just a little adaptation, a big one being used to getting around without a car. Not hard, just takes a little preparation.

First of all if you do not have a decent stroller, get one. preferably one that can be folded quickly and easily for getting on buses and into taxis. For the older child consider a "buggy board" attachment for the stroller for him/her to stand on when they don't want to walk as much. Or, If you get a double stroller, try not to get a side by side, as those are very wide and challenging to maneuver on the sidewalks. (Something similar to a Phil & Ted's w/ a doubles kit.)

Second get a "Bundle Me" type sack to go in the stroller for the smaller child. It is basically a blanket/jacket replacement that resembles a sleeping bag that fits in the stroller and can easily be zipped/unzipped to keep your child warm when outside and quickly unzipped to when you go indoors. (So you don't have to struggle taking jackets on / off as you go about your day from the cold outdoors to the overheated indoors.)

if you need to get any of this gear here, there is a Buy Buy Baby store in Chelsea that has great customer service and they even deliver.