We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on where to stay

Perth
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help on where to stay

My Husband and I are travelling from Western Australia to New York for the first time. We arrive the day after Christmas for a seven day stay before heading to Mexico. We get such differing opinions on where to stay. We are a hip couple in our late 40's who enjoy staying in nice boutique hotels rather than large hotels and chains. We love to do and see everything however we also have limited time. We have booked two hotels and we are struggling to decide on which one or if there is a better choice. We have booked the Bowery Hotel and the Giraffe. Would love some input on these hotel choices and areas to stay or advise on alternatives if anyone is able to help with this? Any advise would be most appreciated! Thanks Deb

4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on where to stay

Hi, my husband and I have stayed at the Giraffe and I've got nothing but praise - lovely rooms, great location, nice breakfast and cheese and wine. I could go on! We're in our early 40s.

We're also coming over just after Christmas and staying at one of the Giraffes sister hotels, The Library. And we stayed at the Casablanca for our honeymoon. I reckon I could be their PR person!

Hope you have a great time.

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on where to stay

Just realised I've logged on with my husbands Facebook account!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on where to stay

My parents and I stayed at the Giraffe in 2010 (parents late-50s, me mid-20s). Parents were there for 2 weeks and I was there for 1 week.

No complaints from us, we loved it.

There's not a lot to do in the immediate area but all that means is it's not mega touristy. It's an easy walk to the subway to get around, a few minutes walk to Madison Square Park / the Flatiron district, a bit further down to Union Square and a very doable walk to attractions including Times Square, Bryant Park, Grand Central and the Empire State Building.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,912 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on where to stay

You've picked 2 lovely but very different hotels. The Giraffe is in a more "manicured" area near a few of the city's best restaurants ( Eleven Madison Park, Maialino in the Gramercy Park hotel and Gramercy Tavern). The hotel itself is known for great service but neither the rooms nor the bathrooms are what I'd call elegant. They do include a light breakfast in the room rate and free wine and cheese in the early evening. People seem to feel pampered staying there. It's one of those places that seems to be more than the sum of its parts. I don't agree there's nothing nearby...Madison Square Park has a lot around it and Union Square Park is less than a 10 min. walk.

The Bowery Hotel is on the lower east side, an area that's been in transition for maybe 20-30 years from down and out (where many immigrants would live when they first arrived to America) to hip, cool and trendy. The area is still rough around the edges..by that I dont mean unsafe, but unmanicured. It's more casual and somewhat younger. You will see more 20 and 30 somethings in this area.

The Giraffe puts you closer to Broadway theaters and midtown iconic buildings like Empire State and Rockefeller Center...the Bowery puts you closer to the Tenement Museum, Chinatown, Soho and Greenwich Village. The Giraffe is closer to a subway station.

Oyster.com

Will have photos of both although not sure how up to date the Giraffe photos are. I will mention the Bowery hotel is what I'd consider smoker friendly and has a smoking porch off the back of the lobby. There have been times I've walked in the front door of the hotel and smelled cigarettes and other times not. Didn't bother me but might others.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 17:05
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on where to stay

The Giraffe--by a Giraffe.....

Perth
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on where to stay

Thank you so much for this advice. We currently live in Subiaco WA which has a village type community atmosphere with lots of cafes and close to the city with out be right in the heart of it We like to walk, shop eat , people watch etc, so we thought the Bowery would be walking distance to these types of areas with a nice warm fireplace to come back to at night? We are now thinking of staying at the Bowery unless you can suggest another place with same type of feel in perhaps a better location ie: Greenwich or the like? and then perhaps having the last two nights which includes New Years Eve near Central Park/Times square for the atmosphere and to get a taste of both sides over our stay. We where thinking of somewhere like the Waldorf or the London hotel for the last two nights and perhaps booking a special dinner on New Years eve. What do you think about this plan? We really appreciate any advice or tips you can give as this is a very special trip for us. Kind Regards Deb

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,029 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help on where to stay

Giraffe is really good....but Bowery Hotel is really good as well plus it is at a great location ...It is in east village....and has a lot of cool places around it. I think you will like Bowery Hotel. I will go with Bowery Hotel. I have been there for drinks and it is a pretty coool hotel.

Also Bowery is close to SOHO, EastWest Village ...it is perfect if you wanna walk and people watch ...!!!!!

Edited: 15 December 2013, 05:23
Perth
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help on where to stay

Thanks for everyone's advise so far. Now we just need to know where we should be on New Years Eve in New York?

9. Re: Help on where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 05:18