We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical/Are there toilets before you get to immigration?

UK
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Medical/Are there toilets before you get to immigration?

I'll be flying from Heathrow to JFK (although not sure which terminal), i have a medical condition where if I need to "go" I really cannot hold it, (I have a RADAR key to use here in the UK and a "Just can't wait" card, which allows me to use cafe toilets without buying anything.

I will also be 5 months pregnant at the time of flying.

I'm really worried about needing the loo in the queue for immigration, sometimes i'm literally going every 10 minutes, now i'm pregnant it's even worse.

Can anyone tell me if there are toilets before and/or during the immigration queue?

Or even, if this may entitle me to get fast tracked?

Thank you

Edited: 15 December 2013, 18:53
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical/Are there toilets before you get to immigration?

No I dont believe there are

I would let the airline know your issues

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical/Are there toilets before you get to immigration?

**Can anyone tell me if there are toilets before and/or during the immigration queue?**

Yes there is(before.)

Edited: 15 December 2013, 19:11
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical/Are there toilets before you get to immigration?

Before, yes; during, no.

You might want to bring something written by your physician so you can show it people who might be in a position to help you out; there is no such similar "just can't wait" card here - But, something from your physician MAY be of use. I'm not sure, of course, but I'd like to believe it would and it may well do.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical/Are there toilets before you get to immigration?

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement is taken very seriously here and I'm just worried that if they think you're faking this "I've gotta go to the loo" thing - they're going to become very suspicious. There are restrooms available but you'll need to queue and there may be a considerable wait, you're going to need to speak with somebody as soon as you enter the area where you queue and show them a note from a doctor - otherwise you're liable to find yourself in a very messy situation (no pun intended)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical/Are there toilets before you get to immigration?

Also...consider going to the bathroom on the plane a few minutes before the announcement to "fasten your seat belts" before landing...

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical/Are there toilets before you get to immigration?

there is definitely a bathroom in the hall where you queue for immigration ... I've never seen a big line there ...

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical/Are there toilets before you get to immigration?

Hi, I've just come back from NYC and flew BA from Heathrow to JFK Terminal 7. When I exited the plane there were toilets on the walkway just before immigration on the righthand side of the walkway. Hope this helps.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,451 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medical/Are there toilets before you get to immigration?

Terminal 4 has bathrooms in the immigration hall. If you are traveling with others I would go first, then all join the line and then if need be you can leave your place, go again and then join your party. If you are traveling alone--I do not know what to say!

In addition, after immigration you get your baggage and walk through customs. There are NO restrooms in this area! I would honestly consider putting on an adult diaper in the restroom at immigration. You can remove it in the arrivals hall AFTER customs.

edited to add: as I started with, I am talking only about Terminal 4, What airline are you flying and we can tell you which terminal you are landing in. ( odds are it is 4)

Edited: 15 December 2013, 20:30
UK
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Medical/Are there toilets before you get to immigration?

Thak you for your replies everyone.

Luckily I will be travelling with my husband. We are flying with Virgin Atlantic

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Medical/Are there toilets before you get to immigration?

Bring a letter from your doctor, and you may be allowed to use the 'special needs' line at immigration - the one the elderly, those in wheelchairs etc, use. This line is usually much shorter than the regular line.