We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan accomm. on a budget

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Manhattan accomm. on a budget

Hello,

I'm struggling to find decent accommodation that doesn't look like my grandmas run down bedroom.

I have just discovered Urban Oasis in Manhattan at $1370 for 7 nights ($195 a night in AUS dollars).

We were hoping to spend HALF this however I think I have nearly looked at every website/option available.

Does anybody have any hidden gem hotels/hostels that they have stayed at below this cost that is suitable for a couple 22 years of age?

Yes I have tried air bnb, and most are very 'lived in'.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhattan accomm. on a budget

Sorry travel dates are 2nd of April for 7 days.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manhattan accomm. on a budget

On the right hand side of this page are the Top Questions about New York City. Read the second one: Vacation Apartment Rentals violate NYC Laws. I have a feeling Urban Oasis is one of those. I wait for someone like NYWhiz to correct me on this particular address.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,848 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manhattan accomm. on a budget

Look at the second topic on the right of the forum.

Basically rentals for under thirty days in NYC are illegal. In addition to the legalities are the massive number of scams and dodgy deals. Renting in NYC is just a no no in so many ways.

The two budget hotels that come up here often are The Verve and The Country Inn and Suites in Long Island City. A short subway ride to most places.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manhattan accomm. on a budget

Staying just outside Manhattan a train ride away can be a good option. I dont think Urban Oasis is legal. Look at the Verve hotel in Long Island City if you're arriving at JFK or LGA. It even includes breakfast. In Manhattan, the Belleclaire is the least expensive legal option I see at $165-175/night plus tax depending on size of room/bed. Look at prices on

Kayak.com

Edited: 16 December 2013, 02:50
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manhattan accomm. on a budget

Long Island City is a great option - one stop from Bloomingdales on the subway.

Long Island City is the way to go.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manhattan accomm. on a budget

Really..how can Urban Oasis be illegal if its on sites such as hostels.com, hostelbookers.com etc and with so many good reviews on Trip Advisor? It doesn't look like anyone is getting in much trouble booking through them or Air BnB.

I hadn't considered Long Island City - haven't heard much about it. Will check it out.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manhattan accomm. on a budget

You're going to pay $200/night and share a bathroom? ??? Both the options I gave you are less expensive with private barhroom and legal.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manhattan accomm. on a budget

The kitchen is a big selling point - I don't believe those hotels have places where you can cook your own lunches/dinners? Urban Oasis looks quite groovy with nice common areas as opposed to Verve Hotel.

This is more of the style/sort of thing we are looking for.

Was just hoping somebody may have some hidden gems that I haven't come across :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manhattan accomm. on a budget

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4109930…

If you want a kitchen, look at the Guesthouse off Park

http://www.theguesthouseoffpark.org/

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manhattan accomm. on a budget

Madison, I recommend you listen to the local experts. The place you have nominated is illegal and not what you want to get entangled in. The suggestions you have been given re Long Island City would be preferable and frankly I think you should seriously consider NYWhiz's suggestion of the Belleclaire. It gets good reviews and is in a lovely part of Manhattan. Even The Newton might suit? Good luck and enjoy that wonderful city!