We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Well we are here finally!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
425 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Well we are here finally!

After much preparation & a few days via Honolulu to get over jet lag before we got here we arrived on Friday very early in the AM. The flight was on time and we were panicking because our ticket only allowed us 25 minutes to change planes in LAX. It was close but we made it as the gates were right next to each other. Phew....The steward on the Honolulu connection was surprised that we were allowed to book a connecting flight with that tight time frame. But all good so far! We got our bags fairly quickly & I rang the number for Dial 7 & waited for our pick up. And waited and waited! Finally after 50 mins the driver arrived, just as we started to load our bags into a cab. The driver said that they had been really busy & appears they overbooked. I was disappointed after all the good recommendations on this forum especially as there were tons of cabs lined up but we felt that we should wait as we had booked. When I rang to say we had landed they said it would be only 10 mins. Anyway, got to the hotel by 2am. Next morning there was a message from Big Apple Greeter to say that they could not accommodate our request for a greeter this Monday despite me booking in July. Again another disappointment but thankfully I was able to book a couple of walking tours with Free tours by foot. What a fantastic option. Just completed the all day one today covering Brooklyn. Our guide was Onel & he was great! In spite of reading all the warnings about making sure you had comfortable shoes & thinking I did, my feet were not talking to me after 6.5 hours on them. Still the pain was worth it. REALLY cold on the Brooklyn bridge, what a magnificent structure. Had dinner in Chelsea tonight at a cute Italian restaurant after we couldn't get into 'the meatball shop' which was nearby.What a great name :) oh forgot to mention that yesterday we walked Central Park in what felt like a blizzard. I DID say I wanted a white Xmas. Tomorrow we have a tour of Harlem scheduled. Time is going too fast already but thankfully we do have another 11 days. Well that's about it for me. Don't want to bore you all too much.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Well we are here finally!

please bore us.. I love detailed trip reports. Looking forward to more. where are you staying????

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Well we are here finally!

Welcome to NYC PeeGee..... and keep them reports coming.

Is it your first time in NYC ? Also, you can call Dial 7 Customer service and they should take care of it.

How did you like central park in the snow ?

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Well we are here finally!

Thank you for mentioning the 'comfortable shoes' bit. What might be comfortable for an hour can be unbearable by Hour Six. Since you are going to Harlem tomorrow and your feet killed you today, I think you deserve to have some waffles. By the way, at this time of year it's traditional in the southern US to have foods like collard greens (for folding money) and black eyed peas (for coins). Try to eat some while you are here, for luck.

Fortunately that wasn't a blizzard. that was just a little ol'snow storm. i'm sure it felt like a lot worse though- you are a brave woman to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge through it!

http://melbasrestaurant.com

Here's your waffle recommendation.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Well we are here finally!

Micheleyverse ..good call on Melbas ...i love this place...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
476 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Well we are here finally!

Oh puh-leez you are not boring anyone with your holiday stories, keep em' coming ;)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Well we are here finally!

Welcome to NYC, peegee!

Yes, we want details. You are not boring us.

I'm sorry you had to wait so long for a car. Personally, I don't see the point of trying to find a driver at an airport when it's so easy just to walk outside and get in a proper cab.

Launceston...
Level Contributor
283 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Well we are here finally!

Bore me, come on peegee, I want every boring detail, isn't the Brooklyn Bridge magnificent.

I am sorry for you your Big Apple Greeter didn't eventuate but pleased that you chose the option of a walking tour instead of a HOHO bus tour. Isn't it funny how your shoes are comfortable until you do some serious walking .

25 minute turnaround.... and I was all in a panic with Qantas with 2 hours, well done.

A podiatrist gave me a tip, buy a long bandage and wrap it around and around your feet ,something like the figure 6,

up and around and over your arch and under and over and this does support your arch.A few dollars at a Duane Reade is worth a try, cant have you with sore feet on the first day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,968 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Well we are here finally!

Hi Peegee......have a great time....keep the progressive trip report coming....you're unlikely to remember all the details if you wait till you get home...well that's my excuse and I am sticking to it.

Level Contributor
34,207 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Well we are here finally!

Love reading about time spent in New York City.. thanks for the report! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Well we are here finally!

Enjoy your trip!