We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Well we are here finally!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
428 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Well we are here finally!

After much preparation & a few days via Honolulu to get over jet lag before we got here we arrived on Friday very early in the AM. The flight was on time and we were panicking because our ticket only allowed us 25 minutes to change planes in LAX. It was close but we made it as the gates were right next to each other. Phew....The steward on the Honolulu connection was surprised that we were allowed to book a connecting flight with that tight time frame. But all good so far! We got our bags fairly quickly & I rang the number for Dial 7 & waited for our pick up. And waited and waited! Finally after 50 mins the driver arrived, just as we started to load our bags into a cab. The driver said that they had been really busy & appears they overbooked. I was disappointed after all the good recommendations on this forum especially as there were tons of cabs lined up but we felt that we should wait as we had booked. When I rang to say we had landed they said it would be only 10 mins. Anyway, got to the hotel by 2am. Next morning there was a message from Big Apple Greeter to say that they could not accommodate our request for a greeter this Monday despite me booking in July. Again another disappointment but thankfully I was able to book a couple of walking tours with Free tours by foot. What a fantastic option. Just completed the all day one today covering Brooklyn. Our guide was Onel & he was great! In spite of reading all the warnings about making sure you had comfortable shoes & thinking I did, my feet were not talking to me after 6.5 hours on them. Still the pain was worth it. REALLY cold on the Brooklyn bridge, what a magnificent structure. Had dinner in Chelsea tonight at a cute Italian restaurant after we couldn't get into 'the meatball shop' which was nearby.What a great name :) oh forgot to mention that yesterday we walked Central Park in what felt like a blizzard. I DID say I wanted a white Xmas. Tomorrow we have a tour of Harlem scheduled. Time is going too fast already but thankfully we do have another 11 days. Well that's about it for me. Don't want to bore you all too much.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Well we are here finally!

there is vegemite toast on their menu:)

Launceston...
Level Contributor
283 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Well we are here finally!

Peegee,

Another great report and isn't it wrong how quickly the days go and suddenly your counting down till you leave.

It's just not fair. You could never bore me with too much information on what your doing in New York.Keep it coming

I still want to do an final report on my trip but I am too busy reading everybody else and enjoying it all too much to think about me, my memories aren't going anywhere.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Well we are here finally!

thanks for posting Peegee...sounds like a fun few days...enjoy the next few days when It's going to be warmer....11 today and 17 on Sunday....and thanks for the tip about Little Collins Street...they'll have a Brunswick Street and a Montague Street next....

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Well we are here finally!

Have enjoyed reading the post and reminiscing about our first time in New York which was a blur of walking, sightseeing and more walking.

On our first trip, we did some of the touristy things, such as the Greyline Bus Tours. Was a great way to get a sense of New York and what we would like to see next time around.

The other posters were correct about purchasing a coat in New York. I picked up a Michael Kors Down coat for $65.00 from a place in midtown that only sold coats and a wool coat from Macy's for $60.00. (Both of which I have worn back here in Australia, including a trip to Melbourne in winter). This is after all, New York! I hauled those coats fr New York to San Francisco and down the west coast to LA which was so much warmer. They folded up quite nicely in my bag.

Our last trip this year was much more slower paced. After all, we were staying there for 6 weeks! A pair of comfortable flat, patent leather rainboots, the down coat, gloves & beret kept me warm outside during our walking marathons. A pair of tights, and a slouchy sweater was all that was needed when inside.

I cannot stress enough about wearing good quality walking shoes. My husband now has plantar faciitis from not wearing more robust footwear. It was quite easy for us to walk over 95 blocks.

We are heading back in Feburary for another month, However, I don't think there will be the marathon walking trips this time around, so the woollen coat will suffice.

We also had pre-booked one of the shuttle bus rides on the first trip, and also experienced a wait. This second trip, we just walked to the waiting area and was able to get onto a shuttle bus within 10 minutes.

Hiring a town car from accomodation to the airport is a nice way to finish the trip off. They always turned up on time. (Dial7)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Well we are here finally!

Love these reports. Very fun to hear from the perspective of an Aussie. Delightful. Glad you are enjoying even the winter weather! :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
428 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Well we are here finally!

Days 7 & 8 : oh dear, have to dig deep through the deep dark recesses to remember what we have been doing these past 2 days. Yesterday we went to Radio City for the Xmas show. I was a little concerned about whether I had made a mistake in booking this as a fellow sitting near us at the Book of Mormon said he didn't enjoy it & it was 2 hours he wouldn't get back. I needn't have worried. Both my husband & daughter also thought it was well done & very professional. How good are those Rockettes??? Not sure I would have been as happy if we had paid some of the prices they were asking - we paid around $45. After that we walked over to 9th avenue for lunch. We ate a a small pub - think it was called brickyard gastropub. We all had the burger, which was quite tasty. The service was a bit on the light side though. We then walked to the Daily Show studio to stand in line for a ticket. But as luck would have it, we missed out by about 10 people! They overbook when they accept bookings - this was after queuing for an hour. Oh well thems the breaks. We then walked nearby to a very cute cafe called Je & Jo's & had a fantastic latte. (One of the girls worked in Melbourne for.a while). They are well known for their home made ice cream. Couldn't tempt me though in this climate!!

After that we decided to walk the high-line (sp?). Ican imagine how gorgeous it would be in the warmer months & also how much busier it would be. It was pretty chilly on our walk, but really glad we took the time to do it.. What a great idea & an ingenious re-creation of a public space. Well done New York!

Anyway walked back via Chelsea market & skirted the meat packing district. Can't say I actually explored this area - but at least I know where it is & the subway to get here & back. Oh on that subject, isn't the subway system just amazing. Had a couple of 'oops ....are we going uptown or downtown.? But the New Yorkers we have met have gone out of their way to help us. That night we went up to a cinema near the Lincoln centre to watch a movie & then popped into Ed's chowder club restaurant nearby for a late snack. The clam chowder was yummy. Today we caught an early ferry to visit the SOL. Great thing to do but boy is it busy! They just pack 'em in on those boats. Walked up the pedestal & my legs thanked me for NOT booking the crown. Would not have enjoyed that climb. Once back on solid ground we had lunch from one of the food trucks. It was tasty, but I was surprised at the cost. Maybe I was being silly but I didn't expect to pay $7 for a chicken kebab in a roll. After a quick visit to century 21 & walking away frustrated AGAIN because my husband got 2 pairs of shoes & I couldn't find a darn thing! I cannot work out where things are. Also most things come in the size called "NOT MY SIZE!!"

We then walked up to Wall st & on to the 9/11 memorial. Spur of the moment... But had no trouble getting tickets. What a poignant experience & almost spiritual...especially when an elderly gentleman stood facing the American flag & poured his heart out when he sang the Star-Spangled Banner. (I think that is what the song is called). It was all the more special because is was impromptu. Moving!

So that's it for me - back down to Hell's Kitchen for dinner.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Well we are here finally!

Hi - I'm loving your report - keep it coming!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Well we are here finally!

^^....then walked nearby to a very cute cafe called Je & Jo's & had a fantastic latte.

We walked past Je & Jo's on our walk with Ziggy....he raved about it....

Great PTR...yes, keep it coming!

Edited: 21 December 2013, 04:04
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Well we are here finally!

have a great time! I'm lookin' forward to your next story ^_^

Staten Island, New...