We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York City Dec/ Jan 2014/15

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New York City Dec/ Jan 2014/15

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice about accommodation and things to do during the period between the 23rd of Dec and 3rd of Jan in New York.

Accommodation

Budget: Under $250 p/n(less if possible; this is our max budget per night) - 2 people to a room (no shared bathroom)

*With this i'm wondering if this is a reasonable budget for this time period as I know it can be quite expensive during the holiday period

Area; Midtown if possible, don't really mind as long it's in manhattan not really wanting to deal with the travel to and from brooklyn

What to do

* Wanting to know any suggestions for what to do on New years eve, we will be both be 20 at the time and we're female so clubbing or going to a bar isn't going to work!

* Is much open on Christmas day, we're worried there won't be anything to do...any good suggestions welcome!

Thank you :)

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York City Dec/ Jan 2014/15

To start with I would do a search on the forum for Christmas day and NYE ideas for THIS year and note them down, ready to look at them in more detail in about 6 months time.

These very things have been discussed in huge detail for the past weeks, if not months, for 2013/2014.

You could also have a look at some hotel prices for your dates for this year to get a general idea of how far your budget will go. Of course there is no guarantee that the same rates will be there for next year, but it will give you a good start on how realistic your budget is. From what I've read on the forum, the days leading up to and around Christmas can be reasonably priced, early January can be cheap....but it gets massively expensive around the 30th/31st/1st.

Edited: 16 December 2013, 06:51
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York City Dec/ Jan 2014/15

Thank you for your suggestions. i'm concerned about being able to book accommodation in our price range, just trying to see when an appropriate time to be booking is as I know during christmas and new years it is very busy with not many hotel deals available .

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New York City Dec/ Jan 2014/15

Just keep looking every few weeks.

I would take the suggestion to look through the forums for questions relating to accommodation this year. Take note of all the cheaper hotels suggested and sign up for newsletters at each hotel so you are aware of any upcoming sales.

I would also regularly look at websites like Quikbook and Kayak to search for hotels.

Finally, seriously consider booking a hotel now that can be cancelled later with no fee. Long Island City is a good choice for people looking for cheaper hotel with good access to Manhattan.

If you search the forums, suggestions about particular LIC will show. For example, the Country Inn & Suites is always on the list and you can get rooms with great views of the Manhattan skyline.

4. Re: New York City Dec/ Jan 2014/15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 06:20