We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January Sales

Ellesmere Port...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
January Sales

Hi all

My husband and I are travelling to New York for the first time on 2nd Jan for 7 nights and we CAN'T WAIT! We have a large budget to buy lots and were wondering what the January sales were like in USA/New York?

Any advice will be appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January Sales

Depends when in January you are here. The sales usually start a day or two before Christmas and ramp up on December 26. A lot of the good stuff is gone by the end of the first week in Jan.

Ellesmere Port...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January Sales

We arrive on 2nd Jan for 7 nights - hopefully we'll still be able to pick up a bargain!

Thanks

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,337 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January Sales

The US doesn't really do "January Sales" like in the UK. As kateoz points out, the sales will start on the 26th December, so unfortunately what is around on the 2nd of January isn't going to be much...

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January Sales

Also depends on what you are looking to purchase....

doncaster
Level Contributor
246 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January Sales

I hate sales, we arrive on the 28th will there just be loads of sales rubbish about? Id rather just shop in a store without sale stuff if that makes sense.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January Sales

**will there just be loads of sales rubbish about?**

^^

Don't understand.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January Sales

Every store will have regular priced merchandise, but every store will also have sale racks at that time of year.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January Sales

Ok..I see what you are saying...

As Kate said...every store will start to markdown the winter items and start putting out the spring wear. There won't be stores with just sale merchandise on display....

Stamford...
Level Contributor
826 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: January Sales

"will there just be loads of sales rubbish about?"

I think you mean what we would call the clearance racks? Those are the items that they only have a few left of, and not in many sizes. They stick them all together near the back or side of the store with signs that say "clearance" and they're priced very low. The rest of the store will be filled with the rest of their inventory that they have plenty of. They might stick a signs on those racks that say "30% off" or "buy one get one half off" because besides clearance items, there are always sales of some sort going on.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,569 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: January Sales

The sale merchandise in so,e of the stores would hardly be considered rubbish. Barney's, Bergdorf Goodman and some of the high end retailers on Madison Ave to name a few.