We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Long Island City

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
91 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Long Island City

We will be staying in LIC for two nights after arrival (Dec 30-31) at the Verve hotel. After that, we'll be moving to a hotel in Manhattan.

We're planning to spend NYE in Central Park, but before that, we were thinking of exploring LIC. What's worth checking out there? Good places to eat? I have read Zante and Andre's Pizza, both close to our hotel, are good, but I haven't seen much otherwise.

Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
staten island
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Long Island City

Here's some neighborhood info-

nycgo.com/slideshows/must-see-long-island-ci…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Long Island City

Zante's is great for breakfast. There's a bunch more restaurants just a couple more subway stops outbound in the Astoria area. One of the locals will surely make some suggestions. The Museum of the Moving Image is also nearby http://www.movingimage.us/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
91 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Long Island City

Thanks for the suggestions. The Museum of the Moving Image particularly caught my eye, that looks really neat.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,367 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Long Island City

Gantry Park and the Noguchi Museum. There are a few restaurant ideas here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5026759…

There are loads of restaurants in Astoria, Queens, a short subway ride away and lots of threads here on the forum on dining in Astoria if you do a text search.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Long Island City

You're also right by Fisher Landau, a very quirky and little known art museum with a great modern collection. This place opened VERY nearby and it's been getting GREAT reviews: yelp.com/biz/…

Near the Museum of the Moving Image there are some solid places to eat. I really like Five Napkin Burger, about a block away. A block away from that, Sunswick 35/35 has a killer beer selection, more than 20 on tap. Oh! And the Astor Room! Another glamorous place for drinking.

A short walk from your hotel there is this achingly hip cocktail bar I love, called Dutch Kills. Look at their menu, it's a hoot and the cocktails are GREAT. http://dutchkillsbar.com/main/

You're going to PS1, right? Eating at the M. Wells Dinette there is highly recommended. Although if that's too avant-garde for you you can go to the John Brown Smokehouse instead.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
91 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Long Island City

Malagueta from the thread linked above looks like the perfect place to have lunch in NYE, provided they aren't closed or have some special event going on. I'll have to contact them to make sure - we love trying new things, so that looks perfect.

I'm mesmerized by the cocktails at Dutch Kills. Definitely checking that out too, I'll have to pencil that in for Monday evening.

Thanks again for all the suggestions - you've all been a great help!

staten island
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Long Island City

JH, Five Napkin near the museum closed recently.

8. Re: Things to do in Long Island City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2014, 06:18