We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January 1-New Years Day-Are some stores opened?

montreal
Level Contributor
525 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
January 1-New Years Day-Are some stores opened?

I'll be in NYC on January 1,just for fun I called Macys & much to my surprise they are open. Are other stores open new years day? Many thanks

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January 1-New Years Day-Are some stores opened?

Yes, quite a few stores will be open. Stores don't close on all federal holidays. The two biggies for widespread closures are Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Some stores may choose to close to give their employees a holiday, but lots of the major players will be open.

montreal
Level Contributor
525 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January 1-New Years Day-Are some stores opened?

thanks a lot-you are right because I called Macys,bloomies etc all will be open

many thanks

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January 1-New Years Day-Are some stores opened?

While you may think it is great, my reaction is How sad.... The employees of this store are not getting any holidays off. They deserve family time too.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January 1-New Years Day-Are some stores opened?

Very few stores are closed on New Year's Day.

Virtually everything is open. Some places close a little earlier on New Year's Eve but everything is open on New Year's Day.

Target is often closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

Most stores are actually open on Easter Sunday and now stores are opening earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving.

montreal
Level Contributor
525 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January 1-New Years Day-Are some stores opened?

thank you

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: January 1-New Years Day-Are some stores opened?

This is a real conundrum for many employees - it is sad that stores are open on major holidays - however, here in CT in the past couple of years, a few stores have started closing on Thanksgiving day so employees could spend time w/family - this is a start - now closing Christmas and New Years Day would be a plus....

WHY is it so important to shop on a major holiday?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: January 1-New Years Day-Are some stores opened?

Just an addendum: I just saw a report on TV that this is the most discounted Christmas buying season ever and the closer it gets to Christmas the larger the markdowns.

Essentially this negates whatever money people think they saved on Black Friday....I always knew that BF was pure HYPE and a huge waste of time.

Just wanted to get that out for those who may or may not be interested.

Poppa

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,947 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January 1-New Years Day-Are some stores opened?

I am going to disagree with you Poppa. I hopped off a red eye flight and headed straight uptown to my usual haunts where this time in the year my "aimed for" and "hexed" merchandise would have hit the 60%. Alas, prices were stillat the 40% off level or full price and at this time of the year I "never pay full retail" and went home greatly disappointed. This has, so far, been my lamest and least productive pre Christmas shopping expedition. In true disclosure am not speaking of electronics but designer togs.

Roebling
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: January 1-New Years Day-Are some stores opened?

Glad I found this thread we were thinking of going to the city for New Year's Day! I have a question to add....what is parking like? I hear the metered parking is free that day, do you think it will be easy to get a spot because it's a holiday or harder because parking is free? We will be visiting the Natural History Museum, Times Square, Rockefeller Center and Max Brenner's.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,823 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: January 1-New Years Day-Are some stores opened?

No, it will not be easy to get a spot.