We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate winter jacket/coat for New York City in February

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Appropriate winter jacket/coat for New York City in February

Hello everyone,

I will be traveling to New York City in February from Australia and as such have little experience in winter jackets and coats. I have recently bought a down jacket which I saw on sale in anticipation of the freezing winter conditions but can always return it if it's not suitable. I don't really understand whether the 'features' of the jacket will stand up to a New York winter. It is Teflon coated, water and wind resistant and has insulation of 255G 550 Fill Power Premium 80/20 Down. However I am a little concerned that it is only buttoned and has no zipper and therefore may suffer from the wind?

This is the jacket which I bought: penfield.com/mens/jackets/fw13-mens-eska-navy

It is a 'snug' fit, but I am able to fit a t-shirt and a jumper underneath it.

Any advice as to whether this would do the job would be greatly appreciated!

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
646 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appropriate winter jacket/coat for New York City in February

Hi Michael,

Some from NYC will obviously assist and provide better advice than I can possible give, however,

having looked at the link you provided I notice that your purchase is identified as a "shirt

~~~~The Eska down insulated shirt offers you a lightweight and versatile alternative to our heavier down jacket~~

We were in beautiful, fantastic NYC last Easter and while I gather it would have been a lot warmer than

February - it was still very cold - you have to take into account the wind-chill factor which was FREEZING for a couple of Aussies - with little experience in these conditions - you really have to be able to layer your clothing to suit the conditions.

The shops/offices/stores/ cafes/ restaurants are all heated - some IMHO over heated so again if you are wearing layers you can take a few layers off.

I can't say whether your shirt will be sufficient for the anticipated conditions - but if it was me and I was arriving at a time/day when stores were open -and you felt the cold - just go and buy from a store in NYC - great souvenir !

2c worth - enjoy your trip !

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appropriate winter jacket/coat for New York City in February

Uh uh. I am afraid it is too light. You can keep it and get something else to go over that to tide you when you are walking about. You dress in layers and peel off or add on as needed. You will need insulated gloves and a cap to keep your head warm. It goes without saying that comfortable weather proof shoes with good traction and warm socks complete the "outfit". As you are not used to what can be biting cold, it is best to err in favour of caution.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appropriate winter jacket/coat for New York City in February

If you have something you can wear from the airport to your hotel and then to a store, I'd wait til you arrive. Something like this

uniqlo.com/us/…mens-jackets-and-coats

Is more practical. The one you bought is not haevy enough and may be too bulky to wear under something else.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appropriate winter jacket/coat for New York City in February

Looks thin to me. More of a late October-November and then maybe mid March coat. With a fully lined hoodie under it maybe but doesn't sound like there's room. Not sure what a jumper is, think of that as a dress. Buy or borrow a real coat. For an example see llbean.com and look at coats via their temperature rating just to get an idea of thickness/materials. Happy travels.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,552 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Appropriate winter jacket/coat for New York City in February

It defnitely won't be warm enough. If you plan on doing a lot of siggtsering outdoors it would be better to get something thicker and roomier so you can add layers underneath. The wind can be brutal. Nobody knows what the weather will be but if this past week is any indication then it could be a freezing winter.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Appropriate winter jacket/coat for New York City in February

Thanks for all of the advice everyone, it is much appreciated. The consensus seems pretty clear, definitely better to find out now than in February! As I am doing more travel around the US in warmer parts, I was hoping to get away with something that was less bulky and lighter due to luggage weight restrictions, but I think I'll return what I've purchased and further investigate my options. Once again, thanks for all of your input!

Edited: 19 December 2013, 12:59
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,935 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Appropriate winter jacket/coat for New York City in February

Just a comment on your above post. Down may be bulky, but it is not usually heavy. It can also be squished, if you are good very thin.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Appropriate winter jacket/coat for New York City in February

If you'd really rather not deal with the heavy coat after the NYC portion of your trip, you could donate it before leaving (just be sure you have some reasonable option for getting to the airport.

Also, make sure the "warmer parts" of the country truly are guaranteed to be mild in February. Lots of warmer areas of the U.S. can get arctic blasts from time to time and get quite cold. Don't just go by average temperatures.

I wouldn't worry about southern Florida, but if you're going to New Orleans, it can get cold. (Just two random examples)

NJ
Level Contributor
768 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Appropriate winter jacket/coat for New York City in February

NY in February I'd suggest a coat with a hood. Barring that at least pack a warm hat (not a baseball hat) but a wool cap type of thing.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Appropriate winter jacket/coat for New York City in February

Many different brands make three or two in one jackets that include multiple jackets that zip together. They have a fleece later and heavy outer layer. If it's cold, you wear all layers together. They unzip and allow you to wear the windbreaker layer or the fleece alone. There are different weights for these too. Google three in one coat and see what pops up.

There is no way to have just one jacket work in freezing cold and moderately cold weather. The only way to do that is to modify with another layer.