We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow online check in-when to get to airport?

England, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow online check in-when to get to airport?

Hi

I have never checked in online and will be doing this Christmas Day for our flight Boxing day from Heathrow to JFK.

Our flight leaves at 10am and i am in a real kunumdrum as to what to leave to get to the airport.

Do you think allowing 2 hours is enough (we would leave 6.45, to get to Heathrow 7.30, say 8am), this therefore means we are at the airport 2 hours early to drop our bags off.

Usually we allow 4 hours when checking in at airport, but as checking in online i am assume this saves time and it would be nice not to have to leave so early.

Any advice appreciated

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow online check in-when to get to airport?

as a general rule they start to board the plane around an hour before departure , 2 hours should be ok but me personally would allow longer , you never know if anything goes wrong and some gates can take 20 mins to walk to

It can be a good thing when you time it just right so after check in you are almost walking right onto the plane but I always like to have time to spare "just in case" at check in I always seem to get the big disorganized family in front of my taking ages to get checked in

Edited: 19 December 2013, 17:39
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow online check in-when to get to airport?

for me, that would be plenty ....

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow online check in-when to get to airport?

I'd plan to arrive 2.5 to 3 hours prior to flight departure. This is because you will still have to queue for bag drop, so sometimes on line check in saves no time at all!

London
Level Contributor
208 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow online check in-when to get to airport?

It might depend on which terminal you're flying from but personally I'd have no problem arriving two hours or less before departure. It's never taken me more than 30 minutes to get through check in an security at Heathrow.

England, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow online check in-when to get to airport?

Thank you for all comments, as always it is great to get opinions.

Brooklyn, NY, USA...
Level Contributor
164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow online check in-when to get to airport?

Better safe than sorry. Plenty of shopping / window shopping opportunities if you need to kill time.

weston super mare
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow online check in-when to get to airport?

We are flying tomorrow from Heathrow and allowing 3 hours - just to be safe in case traffic or anything else crops up. To us its also the start of the holiday to have a mooch around all the shops and treat ourselves to breakfast before we fly!

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow online check in-when to get to airport?

My opinion is that online checkin saves the passenger who is checking luggage no time at all. It saves the airline the trouble of having the person behind the desk have to manually search for you on their screen from your passport info.

AND most importantly, you are less likely to bumped if the flight is full if you have "checked in" already. That said, 2.5 hours should be fine, maybe 3 if you can schedule it. Heathrow seems quite efficient when I've gone through there. But your luggage must be checked in 60.00000 minutes before the plane is scheduled to depart (59:59:59 and the computer locks them out of your reservation, if I remember right).

Edited: 20 December 2013, 21:54
9. Re: Heathrow online check in-when to get to airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2014, 06:18