We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport transfers for family of 5

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Airport transfers for family of 5

What is the best way to travel from airport to hotel for family 5 with 5 large suitcases? Do we get a car service or wait for a cab/taxi that's large enough for us all to travel in? Also what kind of $$ would we be looking at? We are travelling from Australia. Cheers

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport transfers for family of 5

I would go with a car service like dila7, all state or carmel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport transfers for family of 5

A cab is a flat fare of $52.50 plus toll and tip - around $70 all in. The dispatcher at the front of the official yellow cab line will call a cab to hold you all.

I think that's much easier than getting on the train after the long flight.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport transfers for family of 5

dial7 I mean

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport transfers for family of 5

It is easy enough to go with a regular taxi. The uniformed dispatcher at the taxi rank will help you.

Do not accept offers from touts. New York City is very safe however JFK Airport is not under the jurisdiction of the New York Police Department. JFK Airport is the Port Authority's responsibility and they have their own largely ineffective police department. The touts won't touch you but they will come right up to you and ask if you need a taxi. I simply ignore them - I don't make eye contact and I don't answer them at all. I find them annoying but as long as you don't engage them, they're harmless.

The uniformed dispatcher will help you. Otherwise New York City is very safe and orderly.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport transfers for family of 5

I have no idea what you mean about dial7 I don't l live in USA - can you elaborate please

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,111 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport transfers for family of 5

Dial 7 is a car service you can book in advance:

http://www.dial7.com

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport transfers for family of 5

In my opinion, there really isn't any need to prearrange a vehicle with Dial 7 but if you really want to, you certainly can.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport transfers for family of 5

If we choose the cab/taxi option would we be waiting long? We are family travelling USA from Australia

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport transfers for family of 5

We do not have a special queue for families traveling from Australia so unfortunately you'll be waiting just as long as people traveling from Boston or Florida.

You do not tell us what month, what day of the week, what time of day.

There are some times of day when you might not have to wait at all and there are other times when there may be a 5 to even almost ten minute wait.

When the weather is pleasant and it is not around taxi shift change time, you're liable not to have any wait. If it is a rainy weekday afternoon around 4:00PM, you might have a bit of a wait.

I find prearranging a sedan with Dial 7 to be a pain. You have to call them and they tell you where to stand and look for your driving. They ask you what clothing you're wearing and then you and your driver play a game of Hide and Seek. I just find it to be a pain. You can pay more for meet and greet but then you have to walk way out into the parking garage and it costs a lot of money. I find a taxi is easier and more economical at approximately $70.

Personally, I prefer the train. The rail option is a very good choice.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport transfers for family of 5

The best thing to do is try to find out if the Hotel have van to pick up in the airport..because 5 pleope plus lugagge you need big car (Van) and in the NYC the have something can Shuttle Van ( color is blue )