We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do i have to go through security,custom,immigration again?

Mississauga, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
do i have to go through security,custom,immigration again?

hello everyone

I'm travelling through connected flights to india. from Toronto to LaGuardia american airways, LaGuardia to jfk I have to take taxi, and from jfk to india by Qatar airways. I will finished with my security, immigration, custom at Toronto airport, my question is that do I have to go through all over again at jfk airport? I will do my check in online and get my boarding pass online and I'm travelling only with carry on, no checked bag. what will be my next step when I arrive at jfk airport? I have only 2hrs15 minute layover, is that enough time to get to jfk and get in my flight. pls answer me asap thanx

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
468 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do i have to go through security,custom,immigration again?

Considering you are supposed to be at the airport 2-3 hours before an international flight, I'm not sure how you think 2 hours is going to be enough time to land, get from LGA to JFK, etc. Your itinerary is impossible.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,560 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: do i have to go through security,custom,immigration again?

No, that is not nearly enough time; you should contact the airlines and see what you need to do to arrange a realistic itinerary for this trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
468 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do i have to go through security,custom,immigration again?

I assume you are on the night flight to Doha and the 630 flight to LGA. You should either get on the 4pm to LGA or the 1:10pm to JFK. The 5:30 to JFK would probably be fine too, but there is still a decent chance you could get majorly delayed.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do i have to go through security,custom,immigration again?

This is next to impossible. You have to get off the plane at LaGuardia, claim your luggage assuming you have more than hand baggage, get to JFK Airport, (That can take an hour by taxi if traffic is bad). Then on arrival at JFK you need to check your bag and go through security to your gate.

You need to contact whomever sold you this ticket and get it done over .

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do i have to go through security,custom,immigration again?

Anytime you leave the gate area you have to go through security to enter the next gate area. You are changing airports!! You will need to go through security at JFK.

We wouldn't want bad guys slipping weapons into their carry on luggage while travelling between LaGuardia and JFK and then skipping JFK security because they already passed security in Toronto. That makes no sense at all !

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: do i have to go through security,custom,immigration again?

Whomever planned your itinerary sorely has placed you in an impossible situation.

Take the advice given -START ALL OVER AGAIN and make a realisticic plan.

What you list is not going to do you any good!

And yes, when going from gate to gate - you must go through security.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do i have to go through security,custom,immigration again?

Yes if you land in Laguardia and take a flight from JFK, you will have to go through only TSA security at JFK.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,765 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do i have to go through security,custom,immigration again?

Many have responded not realizing that you said you have no checked luggage. So, taking into account that you are only traveling with a carry on--it is STILL pretty much impossible. I live between the two airports. Depending upon the time of day, it can take 1.5 hours to get between the two. Between normal traffic and construction traffic--the odds of your making your flight are very slim. You are also assuming that you flight lands ON TIME at LGA. LGA is a very overcrowded airport and now that it is winter there are all kinds of delays.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: do i have to go through security,custom,immigration again?

Of course you're going to have to go through Security.

Imagine you clear Security in Toronto and then you go outside and go to your car, wouldn't you need to clear Security again. Between LaGuardia and JFK you could acquire any number of things as you're not in a sterile area - of course you need to clear Security again. Absolutely no chance of any exception here.

Your connection is unrealistic - you will not make it. You need a lot more time. Traffic between LaGuardia and JFK is horrendous pretty much all the time.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: do i have to go through security,custom,immigration again?

"And yes, when going from gate to gate - you must go through security."

Let's not take things TOO far. :)