We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scammed at 50th /Broadway subway station

Epsom, England
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Scammed at 50th /Broadway subway station

We are having a great time so far despite incident yesterday morning. Please beware... We were trying to buy metro card ... Guy comes up and very gently offers suggestions how to do it. Then he asks what my husband is doing when he enters 99999 in zip code section. We have a UK card. He immediately says don't do that. Don't believe what you read on the internet. By this time feeling like something is up but two kids with us so just want him gone. He says he will pay on his card although husband has already put his card in. Bottom line we paid hiim $20. Surprise surprise my husband's payment had gone through. The station was empty so just wanted to pay him off. We immediately went to cancel our cards not knowing if he may have swiped our card somehow. We saw him standing around looking for other victims. Please be wary!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,168 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,053 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scammed at 50th /Broadway subway station

Why did you cancel your card?

I'm sorry you gave him money. That sucks.

Epsom, England
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scammed at 50th /Broadway subway station

We cancelled it because after my husband had put his card I , the guy put his card in the machine and typed his code. In London we have had problems with criminals putting card readers into ATM machines and getting all data. We thought better to be safe than sorry. Luckily we have a different card as well.

It was an uncomfortable situation.

Other than that, we are having a great time!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
609 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scammed at 50th /Broadway subway station

ukwhites, sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. That indeed stinks, and thanks for alerting others to the situation.

Glad to hear that you are otherwise enjoying your stay!

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,045 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scammed at 50th /Broadway subway station

If you saw the person who scammed you "standing around" you should have notified someone from the MTA or if there was an NYPD person in the station - that would have been a good thing to do.

And if no one in authority was about - when you got to the street there may have been a police officer or two around there.

That is a busy station - I would think security would be present.

Just a suggestion!

Poppa

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
488 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scammed at 50th /Broadway subway station

Oh that's too bad. I really understand how you can feel a little flustered & overwhelmed - especially if you think you are holding people up. On one of the 1st days I bought just a single ride as didn't want to buy the unlimited pass until the following day & then it wouldn't swipe My husband who had already bought a card the day before came back out - not knowing that that was a no-no! Some very kind local swiped us both back in on her card. So I reckon for every negative person or event there are many many more positives and we have experienced nothing but civility and kindness. Hope that happens for you. Cheers

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scammed at 50th /Broadway subway station

**Guy comes up and very gently offers suggestions how to do it. Then he asks what my husband is doing when he enters 99999 in zip code section.**

You should have told him that you are all set...Thanks.

People who work "scams" are successful when the people being scammed engage don't ignore the initial offer of 'good faith."

Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scammed at 50th /Broadway subway station

Thanks for the heads up

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scammed at 50th /Broadway subway station

A "no thanks" and if that doesn't work, a string of creative cussing can do the trick!

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,045 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Scammed at 50th /Broadway subway station

Not only should have you ignored or dissuaded the scammer - if you saw him loitering waiting for another mark - it would have been useful to have alerted authorities - it's not like this doesn't happen often, the police would not have 'made light of your situation' as embarrassing as you may have thought it was.....

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,357 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scammed at 50th /Broadway subway station

In my experience, the police are more visible at the bigger stations -- Grand Central, E 59th St., 14th St., etc., and there are more people around (not to mention the occasional manned booth) and I would suggest making future purchases at one of those stations (which are generally also express stations).