We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go Select line skipping/MOMA free Fridays

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Go Select line skipping/MOMA free Fridays

I've had a look through the various New York passes and think the Go Select Pass is the only one that really works, every other bundled pass seems to include some kind of cruise which I don't want to do on this trip.

If we do a pass with the Metropolitan Museum of Art, American Museum of Natural History, Empire State Building and Top of the Rock, what exactly does skipping the line mean in terms of waiting time? I assume at the two museums you show the pass and walk in, at the ESB and Top of the Rock it says skip the ticket line, we then would stand in a security line? Would either of these be a really long wait? If so, I may only do one or the other (I've been up both but it's been about 7-10 years)

MOMA says Friday is free from 4-8pm, we may stop there if we are not too tired. If we go around 4pm, is there normally a huge line? We will be there this Friday Dec 27th, based on the hotel prices and theater blackout dates, I'm expecting the city to be rather crowded! Thanks :-)

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,034 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go Select line skipping/MOMA free Fridays

Spend the money and go to MOMA Friday morning.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,329 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Go Select line skipping/MOMA free Fridays

Yes, there is a huge line at MOMA on Friday afternoons, and then it's incredibly crowded in the museum. I would expect this Friday to be worse than usual.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Go Select line skipping/MOMA free Fridays

Are you allegedly saving money with the pass?

Skipping lines - each venue has its own policies - you may or may not save time.

There are discount tickets for TOTR - people handing out fliers near the venue.

As for free Friday at the museum - there are a gazillion visitors in the City this week - all wanting something for free; take the advice - go earlier in the day.

If it were me - I WOULD NOT buy one of these passes.

Just my opinion!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,329 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Go Select line skipping/MOMA free Fridays

The Go Select Pass is different than the other passes, Poppa. It's frequently a good deal.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Go Select line skipping/MOMA free Fridays

Ach so, I did not know that - has anyone used it and give a report if it was worthwhile?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go Select line skipping/MOMA free Fridays

I think any of the passes including this one only includes general admission at the AMNH but you should double check and see if that's enough for you.

http://www.amnh.org/tickets

Unfortunately, once you have a pass, there's no way to just pay to add one thing. And if all you want is general admission, note on the link above, that's pay what you want at the museum. We've also heard stories that at AMNH you still have to stand in line to get collect an admssion ticket after showing your pass. The Met is also pay what you want. And yes, you skip the ticket buying at ESB and TOTR but still have to wait for security and elevators.

Another option is to

-buy ESB tickets separately online in advance (not dated or timed).

-Buy a combo MOMA/TOTR ticket

"MoMA/Top of The Rock Observation Deck

Joint ticket purchase at MoMA admissions desk: $42 ($10 off retail cost)"

-do pay what you wish at the Met and AMNH

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Go Select line skipping/MOMA free Fridays

Thanks for the input and a very good point about the AMNH, I will take a look and if anything I wanted to see was an extra charge.

I'm not terribly comfortable with using the pay what you want structure, I can afford to pay the full fee and it's my understanding that the PWYW structure is in place for people who truly can't afford it, but if I can find a pass that skips lines, then I'd be interested in that. And if it saves me a few $$$, then that's great too. I assume Free Fridays are underwritten by a corporation like they used to be at the Art Institute here in Chicago.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Go Select line skipping/MOMA free Fridays

LoveChicago, rather than rehash the entire issue of the morality of PWYW, here is a recent thread discussing the subject in New York City:

tripadvisor.com/…53427796

As to your question, Free Fridays at MOMA (a private museum that was never "free" or PWYW), PWYW at several museums (including the Met and AMNH) are that way by the terms of their leases for the city-owned property they occupy. One has to look at the City Council minutes and mayor's (at the time) comments to get an idea of the "motivation" for writing the leases that way.

If I'm not mistaken, the Art Institute of Chicago recently eliminated discount days for non-residents of Chicago, and reduced discounts for State of Illinois residents. But that was entirely an internal, budget-driven decision, due to (in part) cost overruns on their massive new construction. How was that bad judgement the fault of the museumgoers?? (rhetorical question ... )

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Go Select line skipping/MOMA free Fridays

Sorry, too late to edit. That sentence should have begun:

As to your question, Free Fridays at MOMA (a private museum that was never "free" or PWYW), is indeed underwritten by UNIQLO, formerly underwritten by Target. The PWYW time periods at the Guggenheim, Morgan Library, and Whitney are not as publicly underwritten, so they must be regarded as generous gestures in each museum's own budget. ... ...

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Go Select line skipping/MOMA free Fridays

Thanks for the link, it's got some interesting points to it.

It was a shame when the AI eliminated the free evenings for non residents, actually it was all of the museums in Chicago that eliminated that benefit. It all happened at the same time so I think they must have lost a source of funding, if it's coming out of tax dollars then eliminating the non resident discounts might make sense. Illinois' budget is a mess, Chicago sold the rights to most of the moneymakers (parking garages, parking meters, the Chicago Skyway tolls). I know the Field Museum is in bad shape budget wise, not sure about the AI but as a member they are constantly shaking me down for more donations.