We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tailgating with strangers at a Giants game

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tailgating with strangers at a Giants game

My wife and I will be in New York and attending the Redskins @ Giants game on Sunday. Being from Australia, tailgating is quite literally a foreign concept but sounds amazing! Having a few beers and burgers before heading in to watch some football would be awesome.

I'm wondering if anyone has been to an organised tailgate party, such as http://gametimecatering.com or, even better, been able to join a tailgate with some strangers and make new mates? I've met a guy who did this in Pittsburgh.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,374 reviews
from US$36.00*
West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,819 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tailgating with strangers at a Giants game

Given the way both have played this year, you guys might be the only people in the stadium :). All kidding aside I would head over to the East Rutherford NJ forum and see if they have any tailgate providers under resturants and or attractions.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,033 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tailgating with strangers at a Giants game

I took a look at that website, and it sounds perfect with someone like you (I can't see anyone just strolling up to perfect strangers in a parking lot and asking to share their food and drink, but maybe it happens. You often start talking to those around you, but I've never heard of anyone just walking up for a handout).

I just wanted to make sure you knew, since so many things get lost in translation, that the link to the catered tailgate you provided said it was BYOB. At the risk of sounding like a boob for telling you, but just in case you don't know, that means you must bring your own drink - so you'd have to carry there your own cold beer or whatever it was you wanted to drink, they just provide the food.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,819 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tailgating with strangers at a Giants game

It also looked like he canceled the Sehawks game. Like I said the way both teams have played I would not be surprised if there were many people there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tailgating with strangers at a Giants game

Aerules, you make a fair point. I booked these tickets before the season kicked off. I was hoping it could have been a divisional playoff of sorts. Didn't take long to realise that wasn't going to happen. Oh well, it'll be my first NFL match, so I'm excited anyway.

I don't expect to freeload, I'd happily pay for a couple of beers. I agree though, it is a bit weird to just rock up and put your hands out for some beer.

Thinking about it, it might be cool just to wander through the carpark before the game. Even if we aren't a part of it, it would still be cool to witness (like I said, it doesn't happen here and wouldn't be allowed).

I'll also look into the an organised tailgate. With BYOB, is there any "no glass" stipulation or anything that I should know about?

Thanks for your help.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tailgating with strangers at a Giants game

And in the UK tailgating with strangers (or anyone else for that matter) is not friendly at all since it means driving too close to the car in front. The US/Australian meaning sounds much cooler and safer.

So you can imagine I was a bit confused by the title of this post :-)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,662 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tailgating with strangers at a Giants game

It means the same thing here. The word "tailgate" means the back gate or door of a car or truck, so in context, "to tailgate" is either to drive too close to that door, or to open it and eat food out of the back of the vehicle.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tailgating with strangers at a Giants game

As a long time Giant's tailgater, I will say that if someone approached us with the "right" attitude we would be open to them joining us. Don't just go up to someone and ask to join them, kind of wander around and talk pleasantly with the different groups

BTW, we probably won't even be going to this game, let alone tailgating....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,934 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tailgating with strangers at a Giants game

People 'tailgate' (in the meaning intended in this post) at the 'carpark' Melbourne Cricket Ground all the time....footy, cricket, concerts. But I am not sure they have total strangers walking up to share (with or without offering to pay).

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tailgating with strangers at a Giants game

Hey - maybe the game will have better attendance - seeing the GIANTS won yesterday!

But do take the advice of wandering around and tallking to those who are tailgating and

explain you are from AUS and have never enjoyed this unique part of American football.

Someone may invite you to join them; even better if you bring a bottle of schnapps etc.....to share.

You never know!

Poppa

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tailgating with strangers at a Giants game

I agree and was going to say as well that just wander around and make natural conversation with different people. I feel certain that once you talk to a few people and they find out you are on vacation and have never attended an NFL game before someone will invite you to join them. It's really easy to talk to different people at tailgating parties before games. That's what it's all about and all a part of the fun!