We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ESB Express tickets on the day or buy standard online now

England, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
ESB Express tickets on the day or buy standard online now

Hi

We plan to visit here on 29th Dec ideally around sunset and dont know if to buy the express tickets on the day if busy, or buy standard online now. (there are 4 of us and the diff works out to be around £61 in total for main + top deck)

When there, can we actually buy express tickets then, or is the queue to buy them the one that could be very very long.

Thanks for any advice

England, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ESB Express tickets on the day or buy standard online now

Can anyone help?

New York City
Level Contributor
911 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ESB Express tickets on the day or buy standard online now

Wish I could be of REAL help, but as I recall, the long lines continue AFTER you buy tickets. Whatever you do, don't buy the Skyride. it's a scam

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ESB Express tickets on the day or buy standard online now

Hi there, I note from your other post that you're going to be here for a few days...the weather forecast is that it will be sunny on Friday.....the other days of your visit will be cloudy. I see you're doing ToTR on the Friday..,.great..but you plan to go to Grand Central Terminal and the Library that day too..logical as they are close by...

But I'd do the Highline that day or anything outdoors from your itinerary.

And I'd think about not doing both ToTR and ESB in such a short trip.

I note that you have planned to visit Jane's Carousel at the end of your Saturday.....it closes at 6pm and with Crown Access SoL tickets for noon and then a walk around Wall Street and then Brooklyn Heights I think the ponies will have gone home by the time you get there...actually your Saturday will be a long day....

whatever you do it will be magical.

England, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ESB Express tickets on the day or buy standard online now

Thankyou OutdoorsAdventurer for your advice

and thankyou JennyR261 for helping me out with my itinerary i will take on board what you have said

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,449 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ESB Express tickets on the day or buy standard online now

I don't understand the question. If you buy the standard ticket before you arrive, you skip the ticket line at ESB but wait in the security line and elevator line. If you buy the express ticket when you arrive, you still have to wait in the ticket line but you skip to the front of the other lines.

If you are willing to pay for express tickets why not buy them before you get here and skip all the lines? Are you worried about pre-paying for express and finding short lines? I may be wrong, but I don't think you will find short security lines at Sunset on any day between Christmas and New Years.

Happy Planning!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,976 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ESB Express tickets on the day or buy standard online now

You dont need to go to the top deck. It's very small and the main deck on 86th floor is all you need do. Whether to get the express is up to you.

England, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ESB Express tickets on the day or buy standard online now

I gather then mywhiz that by going up higher doesnt really have an effect as all can be seen from 86th just as well?

Its so hard knowing what to do as like most people, you just want to do everything as its your first time, but i really appreciate the advice.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,976 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ESB Express tickets on the day or buy standard online now

A few posts on 86 vs 102 and when is least crowded

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4062033…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3817596…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4779721…

England, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ESB Express tickets on the day or buy standard online now

Thanks nywhiz, much appreciated

Houston
Level Contributor
265 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ESB Express tickets on the day or buy standard online now

Just wanted to share our experience in case it may help you with your decisions.

I've been to NYC numerous times and never wanted to bother with the ESB and deal with all the waiting. We were in town Saturday (Dec 21) and we were wandering around the city. We ended up at macys on 34th and shopped for a bit. Afterwards, we looked up and saw the ESB. It was 10pm, we had nothing to do, so I decided to walk over and check out the lines. Well, to my surprise, we walked right up and were able to purchase tickets immediately (not express) to the 86th floor. The longest I waited was a couple of minutes for the elevator. Soooo, if you can, I would check it out a bit later, that's just my opinion.