We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth visiting over Thanksgiving?

london,uk
Level Contributor
590 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth visiting over Thanksgiving?

This year we had the best time. It was the week of Thanksgiving and we came hone the day before. It was amazing. Fab atmosphere and not too busy. We are already making plans for our next visit but are tempted to go afew days later and stay until the day after Black Friday, I don't know if this will be our main shopping day I'm sure you will advise me on that! What do you all think? Is anything open Thanksgiving day? Could we find a nice place to eat and a bar on the evening? We will stay in Chelsea again. Fallen in love with the area. Can we expect flights to go up at this time? That will probably be the main factor. Costs.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth visiting over Thanksgiving?

Many, many bars and restaurants are open. You would probably also enjoy seeing the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, with bands, performers and giant balloons.

I don't think flights from the UK will change significantly. Start looking now to see how prices compare.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth visiting over Thanksgiving?

The parade is a major big deal. Black Friday shopping is madness, but something to witness. I should think Thanksgiving would be fun to celebrate.

london,uk
Level Contributor
590 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth visiting over Thanksgiving?

Thanks. There will be some significant birthdays for us all so it will be a big trip. This year I noticed there where lots of big reductions in the shops like Macys how much more do things get reduced because they already had 40% off most things and it wasn't chaotic at all. I'm starting to save already and we are talking 2015!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
76 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth visiting over Thanksgiving?

For the last several years I've arrived around midmorning on Black Friday so my shopping is more of an afternoon experience and has never seemed as nuts as I would expect. But to be there for the parade! That would be a treat!

One of my favorite times to visit the city is right after Thanksgiving. Though I miss the lighting of the Christmas tree, the store windows are still done and the festivity is in the air. You can ice skate in Bryant Park, visit the little Christmas shopping markets, etc.

And I'm with you, I love staying in Chelsea!

5. Re: Is it worth visiting over Thanksgiving?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 06:19