We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC. Locations and Sample itinerary

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
NYC. Locations and Sample itinerary

Hello, I know there are a lot of posts about this stuff but I really need some specific advice. We are a family of Husband and Wife in our 50's and a son who is 21. I was just wondering what sort of area is the best place to stay in? or suggested area to stay? Should we use airbnb.com? I also wanted to know is it too far to stay outside manhattan? and do people have any itineraries samples? I am struggling to make one up for NYC we go in March. Thank you for your time.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,138 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC. Locations and Sample itinerary

Most first time visitors like to stay in Manhattan, but really, anyplace near a subway is fine ... the fact you are mentioning staying outside the city all together makes me wonder if budget is a factor. Hotel prices fluctuate based on what is happening in the city. To get the best help you should provide your exact dates of travel and a desired nightly budget in US dollars. Keep in mind that tax adds approx 18% to the rate stated on most sites.

As for itineraries. Read others' trip reports to get some . If you are not using a mobile device, scroll to the right and look at the FAQ list.

HAPPY PLANNING!

new york
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC. Locations and Sample itinerary

Airbnb is not recommended in NYC because apartment rentals of less than 30 days are mostly illegal.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC. Locations and Sample itinerary

Knowing the number of days you will be in NYC, and whether you've been before, will help us to help you plan your holiday. Guide books are vey useful for suggeste itineraries and they usually have sugestions for stays of various lengths.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,835 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC. Locations and Sample itinerary

You'll find ideas and itinerary samples in the Top Questions section to the right, especially the "New York City trip ideas" section. You'll also find lots of sample itineraries in the regular discussions section too.

If you've read through all of that and still cannot begin to list what you want to do, I'd suggest getting a good guidebook. It can be challenging to organize all of the misc ideas scattered throughout the forum, or even know what they are about. That's what guidebooks are for :-)

I'd also suggest letting the 21-year-old come up with some ideas as well.

Edited: 26 December 2013, 22:47
london,uk
Level Contributor
590 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC. Locations and Sample itinerary

We stayed in Chelsea. I couldn't stand the madness of Times Square. It is really easy to get to anywhere on the subway. I was surprised how nothing is really that far away. One thing I wouldn't do again is over plan. I'd just pick a couple of main things to do and then see where things go. You absolutely must go to the Tenement a Museum though. Loved it.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
596 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC. Locations and Sample itinerary

Any good hotel near a subway station will work. Check and see which have the best rates for you. We last stayed at the Westin Grand Central Station and it was a great location. About a 20 minute walk to theater, near the subway and Grand Central, restaurants in the area. Also have stayed in the Wall Street area. Easy access to subway there too. Figure about 20-30 minutes to take the subway from Wall Street to Times Square. Pick an area of the city you think you might spend the most time in. Take a look at the sights you want to see and go from there. If you are 3 in a hotel room, you are fine. If you have frequent stay points with any hotels or American Express, now might be the time to use them!

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC. Locations and Sample itinerary

Organization can help you make the most of your trip. With 12 sights, this link is a good example of basic geographic organization (with a little variation) on which you might build or revise as you wish. tripadvisor.com/Guide-g60763-l372-New_York_C…

Edited: 28 December 2013, 15:37
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC. Locations and Sample itinerary

Thank you all for your replies! We will be going for about 5 days in early March. So AirBnb is a no go? and what do most people do for food in NYC? is it best going to diners or reserving restaurants? thanks

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,469 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC. Locations and Sample itinerary

Yes, the majority of apartment rentals on AirBnB and elsewhere are illegal. The Attorney General has recently subpoenaed host records and there are ongoing investigations. Since there is no definitive way to be sure you are in one of the very few legal rentals it is a situation that is ripe with potential for misrepresentation and scams.

Post your travel dates, arrival airport, budget in US$ and whether you need a separate sleeping area for your son and the hotel experts here can give the best advice.

As to dining, for nicer restaurants reservations are a good idea. Browse here: www.opentable.com/new-york-city-restaurants and here http://www.menupages.com/ to get an idea of price, menus, or to find a specific cuisine. If you are more casual diners, there are many eating choices that will not require much if any advance planning.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,559 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC. Locations and Sample itinerary

The NY Times just did an article on guidebooks vs the internet

Internet - best for finding what you want & buying hotels attractions etc.

Guidebooks - best for maps & finding places you didn't know you wanted to see (when you search the internet you are generally putting criteria in that limits the info & a guidebook tends to allow better research for what is out there.