We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phone/LTE reception in subways?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cell Phone/LTE reception in subways?

I'll be relying heavily on my phone for directions while in NYC. Since this will be my first time in NYC and am paraniod about getting lost, I was wondering how good cell phone and internet reception is in the subways?

BTW, my carrier is At&t. Thanks!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phone/LTE reception in subways?

Zero.

Some subway stations will have some limited access...and if you are at stations with outdoor stations...then you will have no problems. But don't expect access in the subway and/or stations...

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phone/LTE reception in subways?

I would suggest getting a map from one of the "token" booths....

Just to add...if you access the MTA Subway Map on your phone(prior to entering the subway) and keep that "active", you should have access while on the subway/...

Edited: 26 December 2013, 18:22
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phone/LTE reception in subways?

Ok, thanks for the prompt response. I'll check the website to see if there's a printable brochure/map online.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phone/LTE reception in subways?

http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html

^^

Keep that "active" and you should be ok...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phone/LTE reception in subways?

dude... that's perfect! thanks!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell Phone/LTE reception in subways?

No probs...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell Phone/LTE reception in subways?

The ever popular HopStop phone App has a subway system map as one of its tabs. Ask the app for directions before you go underground, but if you just want to look at the map you can do that anytime.

I've pretty much never had coverage underground but weirdly, while waiting on my last trip for a late night N train at the 42nd St/Times Square station, I noticed the guy standing next to me answer his phone.

I checked and sure enough I had a strong ATT signal there, at least two levels down from the street. I'm guessing there are cell antennas there in that particular station since it's pretty much the biggest/busiest one.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell Phone/LTE reception in subways?

Yep. Certain stations have some access. But don't count on it for the majority of the nYc subway system...

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell Phone/LTE reception in subways?

I use the Embark NYC app on my iPhone. I open it in the morning before going around NYC and it downloads all schedules and other updates for the system -- from there you can view the subway map and indicate locations between which you want to travel. It will work offline for information between specific stations (needs to be online if you use a street address or location). It'll give you the trains, times, and directions based on when and where you are traveling. Perfect when underground without coverage.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell Phone/LTE reception in subways?

Yes around 42nd you got plenty of access. Good spot to refresh your Trip Advisor app