Hi there. My mom and I are going to NYC for NYE to see Billy Joel in Brooklyn. It's an extremely short trip, just two days, and we don't have huge ideas of things we "must see" but do want to do a few fun things while we're there.
Let me just say that this holiday season has been extremely stressful and I have had NO time to plan anything... and my mom is pretty much useless in helping me out. : ) So I have been trying to get a few minutes here and there to research. One other note is that my mom is 66 and has a really hard time walking long distances (well, any distances). So this is by no means going to be a "squeeze everything you can in two days" kind of trip, and I'm fine with that. Basically I don't just want to sit in my hotel the whole time with no idea of what to do, especially if things are close to the hotel. So if anyone can be of any help, I'd be indebted forever!!
This is what I know so far:
* Arriving noon at LGA on Tuesday. Staying at Grand Hyatt (adjacent to Grand Central Station) Dec. 31 - Jan. 2.
* Will probably just take a cab from LGA to the hotel as we will both have a checked piece of luggage. I know there is an airport shuttle to the midtown hotels, but it doesn't stop right in front of the Grand Hyatt and do not want to make my mom walk with her suitcase, even if it's just for a block. So taxi it will be.
* Will get a 7-day Metrocard for $31 each as I imagine we'll be using the subway A LOT
* Got tix to Motown the Musical for Weds night (NYD).
* Leave at 4 p.m. from LGA on Thursday
So basically need ideas for what we can do on Tues afternoon/evening before the concert (concert doesn't start til 9:30!) and then things to do that will be OPEN on Jan. 1st. We would like to take in some holiday sights if anything is still open/decorated now. Also need some reasonably priced food outlets near our hotel if anyone has thoughts.
Oh, and I'd like to take a bus tour too (nice for my mom instead of making her walk a lot) so we could get a general overview of NYC. Seems like none of them run on NYD. Suggestions for ones we should look into taking either NYE when we arrive, or before we leave for the airport on Thursday?