We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter rides NYC

Canberra
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Helicopter rides NYC

After some advice regarding a helicopter ride over New York City... Would love to hear any reviews (good or bad) about the experience, company you went with and cost.

Would be looking at doing this mid February, so if anyone has done it through the winter season - how it was weather wise?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter rides NYC

I would do a search on the forum and you will find many threads on the subject. I would recommend the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building as a cheaper safer less noise polluting alternative with a better view on a clear day

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter rides NYC

I'd be interested in the advice you get. Personally, I wouldn't want to be flying in such crowded airspace. You've got so many airports nearby plus traffic copters.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter rides NYC

First, from everything I've ever heard they do not fly << over New York City>>. It's not allowed.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

New York City
Level Contributor
943 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter rides NYC

I took one years ago and was thrilled. I don't believe they fly right over the city but the best views are from the rivers anyway. Of course, this is not an ecological choice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,093 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter rides NYC

No flying over the city, same rules apply since 2010 (not sure if part of this was in response to the 2009 accident or not) - the following link explains - they will fly over Yankee Stadium but only when there is no game:

…nytimes.com/2010/…

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter rides NYC

I'v done the flight with 2 different companies ...(second one was via groupon) and both were great. You don't get to fly over Manhattan, but hover over the rivers instead. We did circle the Yankee Stadium last flight ...

names? let me see if I remember:

Manhattan Helicopters I think was the second one, reviews weren't great (long waits, short flights) but ours was wonderful

I can't find a name for the first company, it was then included in the NY pass as a discount, but it left somewhere from the Husdon side is what I seem to remember ....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter rides NYC

If you're referring to the ones that left from Hudson River park in Chelsea, those were mercifully discontinued several years ago, as the article that Momcat posted says. The ones that leave from Wall Street heliport are the next target for community groups that are trying to get the whole mess moved to New Jersey.

You can see the same stuff on google earth view.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helicopter rides NYC

Meyem - is this the first time you've admitted taking a helicopter ride on this forum? Just curious.

9. Re: Helicopter rides NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 06:18