We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused myself, Verve vs Wolcott

innisfail
Level Contributor
213 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Confused myself, Verve vs Wolcott

I have bookings with both not sure which one to cancel x 5 nights :

Verve is a King Room suite w/ Sofa Bed for $1118 AUD & Wolcott is a Junior Suite - 1 queen bed w/sofa bed for $1205. The differences I see that are possibly relative are breakfast & internet included at the Verve. Wolcott internet is $10/per day per device but situated perhaps more convenient. We are 2 friends & first time to NYC. Is there any other differences that I should choose one over the other ? Thank you in advance :)

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,388 reviews
from US$36.00*
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,592 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused myself, Verve vs Wolcott

You want to stay at the Wolcott. The location is much more central, and for roughly the same price, you'll appreciate it.

As a New Yorker, I've never gotten why "breakfast included" is such a fixation of tourists here. That's essentially a $4-per-day amenity - that's how much a good egg and cheese on a roll costs at any deli or bodega on any corner in New York. You should not be making your hotel choice based on saving $4!

The Internet thing is a pain, but there is a Starbucks with free Internet only one block away at 29th and 5th.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,049 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused myself, Verve vs Wolcott

Assuming you each have a computer and a phone requiring internet in your room...that's an extra $200 over the 5 nights (might be more if that really means 6 or 7 days with your 5 nights)

.....we love having access to the internet in the room, and while the Starbucks option is a good one, will you really want to be heading there EVERY time you want to be online (or organise yourselves to be online only at certain times to avoid the hotel charge)?

And re location.....I think the Verve is in a much more attractive area than the Woolcott. Do get a 7 day Met ticket each for $31 and you will find that the subway and the public buses will easily get you around to all the sights most first timers want to see.

Have a great holiday.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,592 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused myself, Verve vs Wolcott

Wait, what? You really think LIC is more attractive than 31st and 5th?

The Wolcott's location is PRIME. Very lively, three blocks from the Empire State Building, near Madison Square Park, great architecture, sights, lots of restaurants ... I love me some Long Island City, don't get me wrong, but it's no 31st and 5th. From the Wolcott you can walk to lots of things. From the Verve, not so much.

Also, why do you need to connect your phone to the Internet in your room if you've already connected your computer?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused myself, Verve vs Wolcott

I'm with jhwanderer here. Wolcott is a great central location.

You really only need one device on the internet not both, and $10 a day for internet isn't too bad when you think about how brilliant the location is.

I'm a huge fan of staying in the boroughs when saving money or experiencing different things NYC has to offer, but nothing beats Manhattan for a first time trip.

M

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,049 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused myself, Verve vs Wolcott

I think google confused me..sorry...Verve restaurant is the Upper West Side....comparing LIC and the Woolcott location...fair call. Insert smiley face here.

Re my other comment....I was just suggesting that the OP and her friend consider how they expect to use their devices and how much it might cost...of course you're right jhwanderer....they may not use both to keep costs down.

innisfail
Level Contributor
213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused myself, Verve vs Wolcott

Thank you for your opinions, I appreciate it. Btw, we would've only connected a phone each :) breakfast was never going to be a deal breaker but was a positive. Wolcott it is !! thanks again and Happy New Year :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused myself, Verve vs Wolcott

I would probably see if there is anything you can find that may be better. Yes, I prefer the Wolcott's location, but the hotel is dated and quite tired, although clean. The Verve is much newer and nicer in terms of rooms and furnishings.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused myself, Verve vs Wolcott

It sounds like you dont realize the Verve is not in Manhattan. I dont know why you're confused. The pros and cons seem pretty obvious to me. If you're trying to avoid sharing a bed, either way one of you has to sleep on a sofabed. I'm with kateoz...find something better than either of these where you both get proper bed. If you want help, post the dates.

innisfail
Level Contributor
213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused myself, Verve vs Wolcott

hi nywhiz, I had chosen the Verve because of the good reviews and the cheaper price & yes aware it's not in Manhatten, but not far. Then I found the Wolcott. I was trying to achieve separate sleeping areas as my friend snores dreadful & I require a budget price. My confusion was if one was so much nicer/better then other was it worth forfeiting positives of another. My dates are 13th May x 5 nights :) If you would like to recommend better places I will be happy to look. thank you :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused myself, Verve vs Wolcott

So who gets the sofabed? I think you'd be better off bidding for 2 separate rooms on Priceline. Keep the reservations you have and keep checking travelzoo and start reading about bidding on Peiceline at

Betterbidding.com