We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC/Times New Years Eve logistics

Harlem, New York
Level Contributor
70 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
NYC/Times New Years Eve logistics

Hi. Need a little help here from my fellow NYsrs. I have a visitors from France who plan to enjoy their. NYE together in Midtown.

Issue 1- they have dinner reservations at 8:00pm on NYE in Rockefeller Center. What subway stop do I send them to make their dinner res on time? I'm thinking maybe 59th Columbus Circle & have them walk? Or can they chance the 50th street station? Or do I put them on a bus down 5th from Harlem?

Issue - 2. They are not old enough to drink. So any suggestions on a "club" or group gathering for 20 yr old?

Issue -3. They have city passes. Their interested in the Empire State Bldg at midnight. I'm going to contact to see if it's open. These kids have a tall wish list for NYE, I just want to give them realistic info.

Alright I'm off to do research. Chime in as you see fit. Thanks in advance. You experts always come thru, that's why I love this site.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC/Times New Years Eve logistics

1. Rockefeller Center/50th St station on the B/D/F/M line will be open. Should be an easy walk from there to the restaurant if it is indeed around Rockefeller Center. If it was further west towards Times Square, not so much.

2. No idea, I'm afraid. Most will take 21 plus.

3. There may be long lines to be up there at midnight, but I'm not sure. I think your idea of phoning them to ask is a good one.

They do know that they won't be able to get close to Times Square to see the ball drop, correct?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,916 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC/Times New Years Eve logistics

Here's info re: ESB from their website - yes, it is open - I imagine it will be a madhouse but, they are young, maybe they will be up for the craziness:

http://www.esbnyc.com/faq.asp - closes 2 a.m.; last elevator at 1:15 a.m. (rain or shine)

Maybe steer them in the direction of the Central Park fireworks for midnight - at least that is going back up into the direction of where they are staying and should be fun.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC/Times New Years Eve logistics

If you mean "47th-50th Rockefeller Center" on the D or B train, that's the way to go. 50th St on the C train is a long walk. And getting out at the Rockefeller Center station pretty much avoids the Times Square area completely. Where are they starting? If it's an express stop like 125 or 145 take the D. If it's a local stop below 125, take the B or if they are good with directions, take a C if it comes first to 59th and wait for a B or D to "47th-50th Rockefeller Ctr".

If you're near the Lenox Line, they take the 2,3 to 72 then 1 to 59 then the B or D. or walk over to St. Nicholas Avenue for the A,B,C,D train.

If you're near the Lexington Line, take the 6 to 51st, then the E or M one stop to "Fifth Avenue/53 St"or just walk over the couple of blocks to 5th Avenue from that 51 St station on the 6.

The 5th Avenue buses, especially the "Limited (LTD)" ones may go quickly. But they may want to get off at about 59 or 57 St and walk the last 1/3 mile, because they could be stuck in a lot of downtown-bound traffic after the Park. The bus on that evening to me is unreliable.

To Summarize: Walking from Columbus Circle will probably be a crowded nightmare. Walking from any subway station on 7th or 8th Avenue or Broadway will be a nightmare. Walking from any station on 6th or 5th or Lexington will be better. The best stations are "47-50 Rockefeller Center" (B,D), "5th Avenue" @ 53 (E, M), "51 St"@ Lexington (6).

Harlem, New York
Level Contributor
70 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC/Times New Years Eve logistics

Thanks guys for quick responses.

Kate02yeah I feel ya, I'm out of touch too. But the want a little party. I just want them to be able to partake legally.

Momcat & NorthofDC thanks for the transfer info. Makes sense to send them down the 2/3 line to tranfer to 1 then trsnfer @ Columbus Circle to the D Or B to Rock Center. Beats getting trapped on Broadway in barricades.

I'm going to sugesst buying tickets for Empire State online & then sending them to Herald Square on the B or D or have them walk (but it is supposed to be mucho frio).

The fireworks sound cute, but they may be able to watch if they are at ESB. I also thought about ice skating.

The young lady is looking for clothes. I mentioned H&M & she went to Ambercromie tonight. I'm thinking Gap, Forever 21 & ArmXchng.

Thanks for your help. You guys rock.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,561 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC/Times New Years Eve logistics

For clothes, she can go to Uniqlo for basics and then peruse the "American" brands like Vince, go to Scoop, Anthropology, J.Crew, James Perse, etc. either in The Meatpacking or Soho. A visit to the newly opened Dover Street Market in Murray Hill would be something new and edgy. www.doverstreetmarket.com

Harlem, New York
Level Contributor
70 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC/Times New Years Eve logistics

@WQ in Vancouver. Thanks for the shopping suggestion. I'm going to quote you! Made my life a tad easier. :0)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC/Times New Years Eve logistics

WEQ - thanks!! I walked past the Dover Street Market yesterday after a visit to NYU Langone - saw people pouring in and out and had no idea what it was. It looked like it had some very cool stuff inside, although I didn't have time to go in.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,055 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC/Times New Years Eve logistics

I am pretty sure that the National Comedy Theater will not require them to be 21 and they appear to still have tickets for tonight -- but I would call them to double check on the age thing

https:/…index.php

Edited: 31 December 2013, 17:43
9. Re: NYC/Times New Years Eve logistics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:19