We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few quick theatre recommendations!

sherwood park, AB
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
A few quick theatre recommendations!

I just received a trip to New York City as a surprise Christmas/Birthday Gift! We will be in NYC from Jan. 6th to 12th. I don't have much time to spend researching the shows. Could I get a half-dozen recommendations for shows to see while my husband and I are there? I'm budgeting for one 'big' show and a couple of other less expensive ones. Looking for something fun and entertaining. Nothing too serious. Would appreciate any advice about which shows to purchase ahead of time and which ones to get tickets for once I'm there. Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few quick theatre recommendations!

A Gentlemen's Guide to fun and murder. See if there is a Broadway Box discount.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few quick theatre recommendations!

Avenue Q

Stomp

Buyer and Cellar

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,782 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few quick theatre recommendations!

For your "big" show, I'd suggest "Wicked". Buy tickets now. They are never discounted.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few quick theatre recommendations!

Wicked

Avenue Q

Jersey Boys

Also try www.broadway.com

All the shows are there in one easy place and you can choose by various categories. There is even an option to search for productions that feature celebrities.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
640 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few quick theatre recommendations!

Beautiful, the Carole King Musical is in previews now. It's a great show and they were offering $40 rush tickets when I saw it a few weeks ago. If they're no longer doing rush, it's also usually available at TKTS.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,759 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few quick theatre recommendations!

Check out the blog from the Washington Post's drama critic.

You need to scroll down until you see the heading "So You Want to See a Show?"

http://www.artsjournal.com/aboutlastnight/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few quick theatre recommendations!

We just saw Kinky Boots and thought it was fantastic. Got tickets on Stubhub last minute. FYI- we sat in Mezzanine second to last row and it was fine but sit closer if you can. Would also highly recommend Lion King ( stunning ), Chicago , Stomp, Blue Man Group ( just fun), Fuerza Bruta (if still there ). Older daughter loved Matilda. Newsies was very good but enjoyed others more. Check out Accomplice too. Have fun!

sherwood park, AB
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few quick theatre recommendations!

Thank you so much for your time and for all these good suggestions. I have booked WICKED on your recommendation and will try to catch at least one more to be booked while we are there.

sherwood park, AB
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few quick theatre recommendations!

I'm back. We saw Wicked and Stomp and enjoyed both. Two very different venues and two very different experiences. I would have liked to see another show but time got away from us. I think its really important to spend some time researching shows before you go to NYC. The choices are overwhelming!

10. Re: A few quick theatre recommendations!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 07:18