We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the weather like in August???

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Whats the weather like in August???

Hi there,

I am travelling to NYC the last week of August with my 9yr old. I have read all sorts of info on the weather etc but they all say different so was hoping someone maybe able to help.

I have been told its really crazily hot and humid, to it can be chilly and need a jumper. I have been told its warm but not unbearable and a variety of other things.

I would be really grateful to anyone who could be of any help.

Thanks and happy new year :)

Maria x

Brooklyn, NY, USA...
Level Contributor
164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats the weather like in August???

Hard to predict, but hot and humid is your best bet. If you're lucky, you may get cool, but certainly not chilly.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,734 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats the weather like in August???

Remember that many American buildings are oveheated in the winter and over-cooled in the summer. So I'd certainly bring a light sweater (jumper) in case you need it.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats the weather like in August???

You've been given very accurate information.

We've had obscenely hot and humid weather into the first week in September and we've had early autumn weather in late August.

People were sitting outside in tee shirts a few days before Christmas - a week earlier we had snow on the ground.

The weather doesn't look at the calendar. I can guarantee it will not be winter cold but I can't say whether it will be the middle of a heat wave or during a sharp cooldown.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
442 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats the weather like in August???

August has been tolerable the last two years (never above 90) while July has been disgustingly hot. Probably just good luck. But even when tolerable it's still pretty darn hot and humid. And smelly. Don't forget smelly. There's certainly a reason you can get a reservation at any restaurant you want...anyone who can afford it leaves for the Hamptons or Jersey Shore!

Stamford...
Level Contributor
800 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats the weather like in August???

Last year I took a week off in August to just go to the beach every day with my children. We all agreed that it was a very nice week of October weather, but dismal for August. At the beach, not far from the city, it was in the upper sixties and either overcast or raining for our whole vacation. August is usually very warm and very humid, but you just never know. If it's going to be crazy hot and humid, what I do with my children that age is have them wear quick dry shorts and sandals. Then besides air conditioning they can always cool off at a water spray playground in one of the parks. The one in Central Park is convenient.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats the weather like in August???

I've visited the last 2 Julys and agree with tubules, it was disgustingly hot! with the last day of our trip this summer dropping almost 20 degrees to 70. 5 years before that I remember it being just a 'normal' summer temp and not humid either. So It is a case of seeing what happens at the time.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats the weather like in August???

Aw thank you all so much, that's really helpful especially Ruthie about central park.

I guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed its a beautiful summer.

I visited last September around the 12th and the temp was great, warm, comfortable and a little chilly in evening. I would be lovely for similar weather but what ever it is I absolutely sure we will have the best time ever.

Thanks again.

x

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats the weather like in August???

My money would be on blazing hot. Plenty of places with a-c, though. Stay hydrated and pace yourself .

It's also hurricane season, but last year was a quiet season. It can also be just nice and summery. Not a bad time to visit. For cooler but still nice weather, Sept-Oct is an option.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats the weather like in August???

Thanks loads, i hope we don't experience any hurricanes haha

hot is fine with me, ill take it any day over cold.

what kind of clothing would you recommend?

thanks again, happy new year x

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats the weather like in August???

**what kind of clothing would you recommend?**

Shorts/tees/polo shirts/etc Basic summer stuff.

For the evening...linen shirts & pants/jeans/summer dresses/etc.

As suggested..I would pack a sweater if you feel that you may need it at night.