We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museums and dim sum - advice please.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Museums and dim sum - advice please.

I was advised to post on this forum and not on the statse's so here it:

My husband and I will visit NYC late January 2014. We are looking for special events at any museum. Last Sep we visited MOMA and it had a tribute to Corbusier that was very interesting for us. This time we plan visiting the MET, second visit after 15 or more years, and the Guggenheim that we did not visit since the renovation. We are open to other suggestions.

Another question is about nice places for dim sum. Either near these museums or near 40th street west, China town etc...

I am following the forum about snow boots and so on as I come from a warm climate.

new york
Level Contributor
946 posts
1,126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museums and dim sum - advice please.

dim sum only try chinatown please.....and lunchtime not dinner time....you mgith want to check YELP for some suggestions. I also recommend you check the individual websites for individual museums and also consider the Tenement Museum enjoy your trip

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museums and dim sum - advice please.

I would visit the Children's Book Exhibit at NYPL.org and have lunch at the Society of Illustrators

societyillustrators.org and see the Chagall Exhibit before it closes at the Jewish Museum and if you like Le Corbusier you might also be interested in mcny.org/content/i-have-seen-the-future as well as all the other exhibits at this museum.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,946 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museums and dim sum - advice please.

Welcome back Shosh!

Take a look at Golden Unicorn in Chinatown for the full dim sum lady cart experience. While in the area you may want to check out the Eldridge St Synagogue, the first synagogue in America built by Eastern European Jews, which means you can bring your own vodka! There's also a Buddhist temple on the same street, and a few others nearby.

The only really cool special exhibit I know is the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum which I must say is really interesting even for non fashionistas like myself. The museum is interesting as it is.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,368 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museums and dim sum - advice please.

Listen to Ziggy the fashionista! The JPG exhibit is very cool as is the rest of the museum if you want a day in Brooklyn. Spend a day looking around.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,947 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museums and dim sum - advice please.

Love it that you enjoyed JPG, Ziggy. He had some beautiful pieces. Sadly, he is a bit off the radar at the moment and am so happy that he is getting some recognition with a retrospective of his work. On my "to do" list for the weekend provided the "stork" doesn't pre-empt my plans. Highly recommend a visit to the MET to see the JAR exhibit. Stunning work from a"boy" from Brooklyn.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museums and dim sum - advice please.

First synagogue in America built by Eastern European Jews is not my cup of tea. I saw the Torou synagogue in Newport, the first ever in America built by Jews immigrating from Spain. This is "my heritage". Anyway not a synaogue goer anywhere. Thanks for the dim sum reference. I'll check museums' websites to see what will appeal to me. Dresses even by JPG do not. Right now the MET and Guggenheim are on the list.

new york
Level Contributor
946 posts
1,126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museums and dim sum - advice please.

Know that dim sum places get crowded Sunday at noon is popular May be a wait also know that round tables seat 10 or 12 not uncommon to have different groups plopped down at same table--unless your party numbers 10 or 12. This is normal. Pls. don't object. You want the cart experience where you pick and point-not the menu experience, which is rare. Know, too, that the most exciting Chinatown in NY for my money is now the one in Flushing, QNS yes that is a 34 min subway ride from Grand Central. but info available if you like.

Also on Eldrideg St at abotu 99 is Vanessa's Dumplings--cheap, cheap casual--sesame pancake is specialty-I mean 4 can eat lightlfy for ten bucks. Know too that this place doubled in space but is still tiny.

I liked the JAR exhibit, also. - not jars but fine jewels.

some people enjoy conveyor belt sushi-for that I suggest EAST on Third Av between 26th and 27th. Lunch or dinner.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Museums and dim sum - advice please.

Thank you nycmom22. We'll visit NYC Monday-Friday so it will be quieter. Sitting at the same table with others can e fun. I hope the weather will cooperate too.

9. Re: Museums and dim sum - advice please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 05:18