We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our first NYC trip itinerary!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Our first NYC trip itinerary!

Hi all

Its our first NYC trip and we land On 07/01 12.30.

We will leave on 12/01 and staying at the pod hotel.

We have planned our time whilst we are there but is there any thoughts or anything that we didnt plan long enough for?

Day1 TUES

Lunch Momofuku 1st Ave Nr 7th 8th Street

MID DAY Check in Hotel / TIME SQUARE

PM EMPIRE STATE BUILDING

Dinner Club A stakehouse 58 Street

Day2 WED

Breakfast Bagel breakfast / Bring Snacks / Pack light

AM 8.30 Statue of Liberty (Battery Park)/ Ellis Island (booked)

Lunch Mexican El Centro ? 9th Ave

MID DAY Museum of Modern Art

PM China Town / Ice Cream in China Town

Dinner " Joes Shanghai/

Drinks at China Town & Little Italy

DAY3 THURS

Breakfast ELLEN'S STARDUST

AM Shopping Macy /5th Ave

Lunch Drop shopping off / Red Lobster

MID DAY WALKING TOUR HARLEM (2PM)

PM Maidison Square Gardens / tea & Cheesecake

Dinner Miss Korea BBQ

Drinks@ Please Don’t Tell (PDT) Crif Dogs / Club?

DAY 4 FRI

AM Top of the Rock / Centurary 21 / Levain Bakery

Lunch Burger Joint @ Le Parket Meridien

MID DAY Barneys / Highline / Chealsea Market

Dinner Buddakan (7.45pm booked)

Drinks / Bars / Clubs / Nightime Activity? Drinks @ Meatpacking Disctrict / Club

DAY 5 SAT

Breakfast

AM FREE SLOT

Lunch Grimaldi's Pizzeria

MID DAY WALKING TOUR (2PM) BROOKLYN HEIGHTS (2HRS)

PM FREE SLOT

Dinner Sushi a Gari

Drinks @ 230FIFTH ROOFTOP BAR (do we need to reserve? any min spend?)

Day 6 Sunday

Breakfast

AM CENTRAL PARK WALKING TOUR (10AM) 2HRS

Lunch Katz Deli

MID DAY FREE SLOT

Dinner APPLEBEE

PM Need to leave city @ 6.30 pm /10.30 Flight

Any suggestions are welcomed :)

We left some free slots as we might get delayed or run over time doing other things

thanks!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Our first NYC trip itinerary!

also any good places for breakfast we could try?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,747 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our first NYC trip itinerary!

The things that stick out to me:

-Some of the days have you going to totally opposite areas of the city. Have you checked a map?

-Applebees and Red Lobster are national chains. In NYC there are far far better options for food than any national chain can provide. I don't know any NYer who would recommend these places. Have you picked them because you've eaten in them in other locations in the US? There's very good lobster at the Lobster Place in Chelsea Market, for example.

- You mention bringing snacks on your day to the Statue of Liberty. No food or drink is allowed in the statue. What did you have in mind?

-I notice not one live performance...no shows, live music, comedy clubs etc. This is one of the things NYC does well.

-I don't understand the Madison Square Garden/cheesecake and tea. What is that about? Are you going to a game of some sort there?

As for breakfasts, there are 4 bagel places not far from your hotel. These places generally have tables for sitting but it's self service. They also do more than just bagels.

menupages.com/restaurants/…

For a sit down meal with wait service, the 2 places close to the hotel that are good are Madison Restaurant and Morning Star Cafe. Those and others are in this list

menupages.com/restaurants/…

Going further from the hotel, Clinton St. Baking Co. on the lower east side is known for their pancakes/waffles etc. Locanda Verde in the Greenwich Hotel in Tribeca also has a nice breakfast/brunch and great pancakes. Speaking of brunch, it's a big thing in NYC on weekends, eaten midday. You could have just a bagel for breakfast and then do brunch.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
298 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our first NYC trip itinerary!

Lunch Momofuku 1st Ave Nr 7th 8th Street (you need a reservation here: They take reservations 10 day in advance and they are snapped up very fast. You might want to have lunch closer to your hotel.

Dinner Club A steakhouse 58 Street (Also suggest you make a reservation)

AM 8.30 Statue of Liberty (Battery Park)/ Ellis Island (booked) You need a ticket to climb the statue of liberty and go into the museum. If you have't booked that I suggest you skip getting off at the Statue of Libery (just get great photos from the boat) and get off at the second stop - Ellis Island.

Lunch Mexican El Centro ? 9th Ave (I suggest lunch downtown in Battery Park. This place is good and has a great view

http://www.gigino-wagnerpark.com

Lunch Drop shopping off / Red Lobster – this is a chain restaurant with so-so food.

Drinks@ Please Don’t Tell (PDT) (Also Recommend reservation) pdtnyc.com

AM Top of the Rock / Century 21 (You will need some time to go through this store – it is large and crowded. Levain Bakery

On this day you will be in midtown (top of the rock) downtown (century 21) and Upper West side (Levain) It will take you all day to do this itinerary

MID DAY Barneys / Highline / Chealsea Market

(for lunch or dinner near the Highline I suggest Cook Shop

http://www.cookshopny.com

Dinner Buddakan (7.45pm booked)

Drinks @ 230FIFTH ROOFTOP BAR (do we need to reserve? any min spend?)

“230 Fifth is first come, first serve, however to guarantee express access and a table for the night, you can place a reservation for a table, either through our bottle-service program or with guaranteed food-and-beverage minimums. If you wish to come and have drinks or dinner with no minimum spend or enjoy our bar you are more than welcome to walk in and no reservation is necessary. “

http://www.230-fifth.com/reservations.html

Dinner APPLEBEE (this is also a chain restaurant with so-so food)

BAGELS in NYC

These are some of my favorites

H & H Midtown Bagels east

Pick-A-Bagel (many locations all over Manhattan)

Also for other dining options check out opentable.com. They include reviews and you can search for reservations in different parts of Manhattan.

I also recommend the 9/11 memorial – it is downtown near Century 21 and Ellis Island. It’s free but you need a ticket.

http://www.911memorial.org/visitor-passes

Enjoy!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,073 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our first NYC trip itinerary!

You should plot all the places you want to go on a map and then focus on one area at a time. Google maps is useful.

Katz's deli, Battery Park ( SOL/Ellis Island) and Century 21 are in the same general area and could be visited on the same day.

MOMA,Top of the Rock and Parker Meridien are all in the same general area so it would be best to do them on the same day

Your plan has you criss-crossing the city incessantly, wasting tons of time with an already packed schedule.

HAPPY PLANNING!

Edited: 01 January 2014, 15:03
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,747 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our first NYC trip itinerary!

Worth pointing out Century 21 has 2 locations, one on the upper west side near Levain (which is the one Ia ssume you meant) and the other in the financial district which is what forgotmypassword meant when she said it's near Battery Park.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Our first NYC trip itinerary!

Thank you for all the replies!!!

Its been very helpful, Yes we originally use google maps to plot our trips but we moved things around to fit in the walking tours. I think when we did this we didnt think about the location so i will re-work this

Thanks NYWHIZ, i will check out that lobster place in chelsea! We are all big fans of lobsters :)

The snacks/drinks for the statue, can we not leave them in our bags at the lockers when we go in the statue? or is food/drinks not allowed at all even on the ferry?

Thanks for the list of breakie places, will definitely have a look.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Our first NYC trip itinerary!

Hi GGOT

i thought, centuary 21 was uptown? unless there is two branch?

most of the resturants i have booked where i could. But some places I may need to book whilst Im there Like PDT.

Again thanks for the recommendation on the food, I will have a look.

I believe Red lobster was picked as someone in our group really likes it, and applebee not sure? lol I will have another look.

I would Like to go to 9/11 memorial but some members of our group has been and Im not sure I got any time to cram any more in!! maybe next time :)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
298 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our first NYC trip itinerary!

In Manhattan Century 21 has two stores. The original one is downtown. 22 Cortlandt Street

New York, NY 10007 (bet. Church & Broadway). I think this is a better store, larger and with more selection, than the uptown store - 1972 Broadway - New York, NY 10023 (bet. 66th & 67th). More info here. http://www.c21stores.com Enjoy!

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Our first NYC trip itinerary!

- For a sweet treat -Serendipity 60th & 2nd Ave (Eastside)

- Staten Island Ferry at Battery Park - good view of Statue of Liberty (It's FREE). Might as well check out -Sailor's Snug Harbor Cultural Center on Richmond Terrace while you are the S.I. side (It's also FREE or next to nothing)

-Brooklyn's Barclay Center arena - lots of affordable eateries around Nets v Cleveland game on 1/4/14 at 7:30pm for tickets to game reply to this post

- Brooklyn Academy of Music around the corner from Barclay

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Our first NYC trip itinerary!

- For a sweet treat -Serendipity 60th & 2nd Ave (Eastside)

- Staten Island Ferry at Battery Park - good view of Statue of Liberty (It's FREE). Might as well check out -Sailor's Snug Harbor Cultural Center on Richmond Terrace while you are the S.I. side (It's also FREE or next to nothing)

-Brooklyn's Barclay Center arena - lots of affordable eateries around Nets v Cleveland game on 1/4/14 at 7:30pm for tickets to game reply to this post

- Brooklyn Academy of Music around the corner from Barclay