We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendation near by to JFK airport please !

Berkshires
Level Contributor
17 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendation near by to JFK airport please !

We are picking up our grandchildren at JFK .. They arrive quite late and was hoping we could spend one night near by to the airport and go to the city the following day .. Can anyone recommend a hotel ? Someone mentioned Hilton Garden but reviews are just okay ..

Would appreciate any suggestions offered ..

Thank you ..

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendation near by to JFK airport please !

the hotels are not very good there

Why not just go into Manhattan that night?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendation near by to JFK airport please !

**They arrive quite late**

What is quite late?

You can easily catch a cab outside of JFK to anywhere in NYC.....

I would also head right into the city...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,000 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendation near by to JFK airport please !

The best JFK airport hotel imo is the Hampton Inn but I'm not sure staying at the airport is your best option. None of the JFK hotels are great and depending on when this is happening, they may not be that much less money than staying in Manhattan. Give us details on when this is happening, who is going to be staying in the hotel (how many and how many rooms) and the approximate time they arrive. I think it's probably best to pick them up and drive to Manhattan regardless of the time, stay maybe at the Skyline Hotel which has $10/night parking and rooms with 2 queen beds. When you wake up in the morning, you're where you want to be and don't have to worry about rush hour traffic either driving or taking the train.

Berkshires
Level Contributor
17 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendation near by to JFK airport please !

We certainly do not want to stay in an area that isn't safe and the hotel less than acceptable .. I was thinking only to make it easier and quicker for the children .. They will have been traveling for ten hours plus and won't arrive at JFK until after 10 pm .. We will certainly head into the city if JFK hotels are not safe and uncomfortable .. We can drive into the city and leave our car in the city before we head to JFK and we can just hop in a taxi and head back to the city after the children arrive ... I assumed they would be very tired and really was wanting to make it easy and quick for them .. We are familiar with the city and are fine in NYC ... Though we have flown out of JFK many times we have never really seen anything close by but the airport .. After reading your post guess I'm not missing much ..

Thank you !

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,000 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendation near by to JFK airport please !

The airport hotels are not unsafe. It's just not a terribly attractive area and none of the hotels are actually on the airport grounds. So once you collect the children and their luggage, you still have to travel to the hotel either by car or Airtrain. Travelling into Manhattan late at night will be a lot faster and easier than doing it first thing in the morning (unless it's a Sat. night Sunday morning). If you were to stay at JFK, how would you get into Manhattan? Drive the car and then leave from Manhattan back to the Berkshires? That's certainly an option. It just depends on when you want to do the trip.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendation near by to JFK airport please !

**Travelling into Manhattan late at night will be a lot faster and easier than doing it first thing in the morning (unless it's a Sat. night Sunday morning)**

+1

Berkshires
Level Contributor
17 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendation near by to JFK airport please !

It's a Friday night ...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,000 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendation near by to JFK airport please !

Well, it's up to you then. I would still stay in Manhattan on Fri. night and have the car in Manhattan whether you leave it there first or drive it after picking them up. Then you can leave the luggage at the hotel (rather than in a parked car) for the day and then drive home...or stay over another night.

Berkshires
Level Contributor
17 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel recommendation near by to JFK airport please !

Your message has made me rethink my plan for sure ..

The children are young and will be tired .. But if it's not that far you're right why not wake up in the city ..

And I'm now nervous for some reason that the hotels will be awful .. I wouldn't be happy with that either ..

We need to be in the city for Saturday one way or another ..

Thank you .. Thank you !

I appreciate your comments !

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,000 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel recommendation near by to JFK airport please !

The Hampton Inn JFK is not awful. It,s just not near anything but the airport. JFK is 40-60 mins from Manhattan depending on how you travel. The kids will likely be excited to arrive and see you...another hour won't make the big a difference (I think). The airport hotels are really best for making an early morning flight.