We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

blizzard

Victoria Tex
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
blizzard

We fly from Laguardia to Houston on Friday, one problem, there's a blizzard headed this way. Will there be taxi cabs available or would it be better to try to take the subway or a car? We are staying in Times Square at the Crowne Plaza and this is our first time in New York so this is our first blizzard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

ny
Level Contributor
288 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: blizzard

There are no subways to LGA .Hopefully it will not be that bad.There are always delays at LGA so hopefully things will be Ok by Friday PM.If the weather is bad you may want to stay at mariott LGA on Thursday night.it is right at the airport

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,817 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: blizzard

You could also try to rebook for later (or earlier) as the airlines, at least the major ones, are waiving change penalties for people scheduled to fly out of NYC area airports Jan. 2 or 3.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: blizzard

No word here on it being a blizzard; just maybe up to 8 inches or so - no problems in the city with that amount of snow; it will be very very cold though - 20 degrees in day Friday and 8 degrees at night (if the forecast remains as it is as of now).

www.ny1.com/content/weather/7_day_forecast/

Edited: 02 January 2014, 05:15
Victoria Tex
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: blizzard

Thank you, I'll look into reserving a room of it is bad.

Victoria Tex
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: blizzard

I'll look into that rebook, Thanks.

Victoria Tex
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: blizzard

We're enjoying our stay here, and if a little bit of snow isn't going to be a problem that's even better, thanks!

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: blizzard

In NYC a blizzard would be snow of 18 to 20 inches. This is just snow storm, so no worries. There will probably be delays.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,817 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: blizzard

Actually, when it comes to weather service blizzard warnings (one of which has been issued for Long Island) it also has to do with wind and whiteout conditions, not just snow accumulation.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: blizzard

I stand corrected, QQ2. But there's a good chance that while the storm might be a blizzard in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, it won't be one in Queens, or at least not all day.

Out of curiosity, I went to the Weather Channel's website (weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm…). The video report said we may have blizzard conditions at times, but not as a steady thing.

I guess when I think of high winds and whiteouts (which you correctly identify as blizzard conditions) I also think of heavy snowfall accompanying it. Usually that means more snow than 6-8 inches.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: blizzard

I would be more concerned that your flight may be canceled. Keep in close touch with a flight app/email/internet before leaving for the airport.