We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self catering in New York

Leeds, England...
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Self catering in New York

I am hoping to stay in NYC for 4/5 nights in my with my wife 4 year old son and mother and would prefer a self catering option any advice or recommendations would be really appreciated

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,271 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self catering in New York

"Self catering" isn't a term used in the USA but most people here on the forum probably know it basically means renting an apartment. Which, for the most part, is not legal in New York City for less than 30 days. See the "Top Questions" area to the right of this page.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,119 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self catering in New York

If by "self catering" you mean renting an apartment, please read the second question on the right hand side of this page under Top Questions about New York City. As a general rule, apartment sublets are illegal under 30 days. If you are looking for an apartment style hotel room, post your exact dates (prices vary drastically on a day to day basis), your budget in US$, and the number of beds and room requirements.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self catering in New York

The apartment style hotels that offer kitchenettes - some have full kitchens - include:

Beacon Hotel

Salisbury Hotel

www.affinia.com hotels

Radio City Apartments

Marmara Hotel

Leeds, England...
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self catering in New York

I can be flexible on dates if that helps to get a good but I would prefer a two bedroom apartment (apart hotel)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self catering in New York

There are very few two bedroom apartment style rooms, and they run a minimum of $500-$600 per night. Is that in your budget?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self catering in New York

Radiocityapartments.com

has some 2 bedroom apts. that are less at certain times. Best Western Hospitality also has some 2 bedrooms that can run less than that. Jan-March are best months for gentler prices.

The London agency

Www.apartments2book.com

Has contracts with many of the suite hotels and can sometimes get better pricing.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self catering in New York

Self-catering does not necessarily mean renting an apartment. It can mean a hotel with kitchen.

There are very few true two bedroom places. Can you make do with one bedroom and a sofa bed in the living room? Another possibility to add to the list would be Off Soho Suites. They have one bedroom suites with full kitchen and futon sofa. Roll-away beds are permitted. I would confirm that one is permitted in the particular suite you get.

Also consider whether a kitchen is a "must have". With just a 4-5 night stay, you may be fine with just a mini fridge and microwave, or even just a fridge. It's easy to find food to take back to your room (or even delivered to it) without having to prepare it yourself.

You'll get more precise recommendations if you include your max budget and exact dates (prices fluctuate). Can grandma share a bed with the 4 year old? Or do you need 3 beds?

8. Re: Self catering in New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 05:17