We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Equivalent of Times Square on NYE in your home...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
517 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Equivalent of Times Square on NYE in your home...

More of a fun question for a quiet day....

What is the equivalent or Times Square on New Years Eve in your home country/city?

By that, I mean something that ALL the tourists seem to want to see/experience, but you have never been, will never go, and wouldn't even go if you were paid for it.

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,064 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Equivalent of Times Square on NYE in your home...

Theres ice skating and fireworks on Fountain Square in downtown Cincinnati on NYE. I guess I would go if a family member really wanted to go.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Equivalent of Times Square on NYE in your home...

The Mt. Olive Pickle Drop. Corner of Cucumber and Vine:

http://www.mtolivepickles.com/news/whats-new/

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Equivalent of Times Square on NYE in your home...

Weirdly, in my town, the fourth largest in the US, there's been an ongoing lack of participation in large scale New Year's Eve celebrations. Probably not unlike in New York, the events depend on corporate sponsorship so the city doesn't have to pay the extra costs of police/cleanup, etc.

There used to be a downtown celebration with live music, etc, sponsored mostly by beer companies that died out 10 plus years ago. A couple of years ago, a revived event came back in a downtown city park with a more family friendly bent, but it didn't happen this year due to lack of sponsors.

A local Free Press paper held an almost downtown concert this year headlined by George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelics, it attracted only 7000 folks but organizers say it was a start. One problem here is we are wusses for cold. If the weather's mild like it is many years, folks will turn out, if it's cold, they stay home in droves.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,932 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Equivalent of Times Square on NYE in your home...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA3meo6KhGg

Torchlight parade and fireworks at the Tremblant resort. I never go, too cold and frankly I like to have dinner with friends at home.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
517 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Equivalent of Times Square on NYE in your home...

I guess not just referring to New Years Eve....

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Equivalent of Times Square on NYE in your home...

Fireworks on the Embarcadero (waterfront) in San Francisco. I suppose I'd watch them from a hotel room high up enough to see them, but the whole scene is a zoo of people -- many, if not most of them drunk -- and all public transportation out of there once the fireworks are over is packed. So much so that I'd probably give up trying to cram onto a bus and just end up walking home, which would be a little too far (& uphill!) than I'd like.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,241 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Equivalent of Times Square on NYE in your home...

Boston has its big and fabulous "First Night" celebration, with stuff to do throughout the city. Not sure how it was this year because the original organizers went bankrupt and other sponsors had to step in to run it.

Dallas has a relatively new event "Big D NYE" in Victory Plaza. It's pretty dreadful -- embarrassingly bad bands, etc. Apparently 35,000 showed up this year though.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Equivalent of Times Square on NYE in your home...

Here in Syracuse this year there was a free 1st night event with Hanson (rock group) supplying music and lots of other festivities (video games, a family dance party among other things) at a park along Onondaga Lake which is just north of the city. At midnight there was a ball drop but, of course, it was orange (Syracuse University color.) Followed by fireworks.

If you're curious, here is the web site: http://www.firstnightcny.com/

Edited: 03 January 2014, 17:21
Cornwall UK
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Equivalent of Times Square on NYE in your home...

Trafalgar Square in London, I did actually research it for the new year just gone but decent hotels were ridiculously expensive. I got a much better deal and trip away going to NYC. I still want to do the whole Trafalgar Square NYE though. One day I will!

Scotland
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Equivalent of Times Square on NYE in your home...

Hogmanay at Edinburgh Castle/Princes Street Gardens Party - only 10 mins away from where I live but I'd never in a million years go anywhere near it! Nope, never. It's like one big street party with a concert in the gardens and then huge fireworks at midnight then the concert continuing. Did it a few times about 20 years ago when it wasn't such a big deal but now there's like over 100,000 people crammed in there, in the lovely freezing cold Scottish weather, no thanks. I'd rather watch it on tv from the comfort of my sofa :o)