We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ground Zero

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ground Zero

I am travelling to NYC with my wife between 12-17 April. I know you have to book a time slot for Ground Zero.

My question is what time of day is best to book and what else is there around Ground Zero?

Thanks in advance

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ground Zero

please don't call it ground zero - call it the WTC site

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ground Zero

It's the 9/11 Memorial.

There is no best time of day to visit. Go and pay your respects during a time that works for you.

Around that area...you can shop at Century 21/Brooks Brothers/J&R Music.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,150 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ground Zero

Or the 9/11 Memorial. Many (not all, but many) New Yorkers find the term "Ground Zero" a bit offensive.

I'm not sure it matters what time you book. Presumably it would be a bit less crowded in the morning, but since you're traveling the week before Easter when a lot of families visit, you're probably going to find it busy any time of the day.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 18:18
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ground Zero

I suggest going early in morning or maybe late in day. We went last Friday with a timed ticket for 2:00, got their early and still waited probably 1.5 hrs to get in. Statue of Liberty/Battery Park Ferry is within walking distance and I would do both in same day if you haven't seen SOL.

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
957 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ground Zero

I went to the 9/11 Memorial last week with my husband and son. It was beautiful. I am so glad that I got to go and pay my respects.

I have to make one comment though. There were so many people from other countries laughing and smiling, big grins on their faces while they took pictures and videos of each other in front of the pools of water. I thought it was so disrespectful!. What in god's name were they thinking?

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,933 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ground Zero

Why not look on the website and see what times are available? You may not be able to pick your "best" time. It looks the same 24 hours / day.

You may prefer sunset for one reason: you can see it by day and then by night during the same visit.

And be advised that there are always crowds of people, just as all of New York is crowded; people always think they can "beat the crowds", but in NYC that is almost impossible to do,

Also note: It is not an attraction; it is a memorial. I was saddened even more than I expected to be when I looked up the entry for a friend of mine from high school; his whole life ended by evil people in a moment.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ground Zero

Some people seem to think that it is a NYC "attraction" like Times Square...

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ground Zero

The 911 memorial is in Lower Manhattan. People sometimes combine a visit to the memorial with the Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, Chinatown & Little Italy, Soho, Staten Island Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge, etc. (Not all on the same day!)

Do some itinerary planning and figure out when you want to be in Lower Manhattan.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ground Zero

"I have to make one comment though. There were so many people from other countries laughing and smiling, big grins on their faces while they took pictures and videos of each other in front of the pools of water. I thought it was so disrespectful!. What in god's name were they thinking?"

Agree completely

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
957 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ground Zero

LMV/Manchester_UK, I was absolutely shocked by the behavior of so many people from other countries (they did not speak English), yucking it up for the cameras, laughing. A couple of people were wearing Santa hats! I truly could not believe it. What a disgrace!