We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants in nyc

Widnes, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
restaurants in nyc

Can anyone recommend a fancy restaurant nothing to posh but formal dresscode, thanks.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants in nyc

Hi Lew,

When asking questions like this you need to be more specific so that we can help you. You need to mention things like how much per person you want to spend and whether that amount includes taxes, tip and alcohol. Also if there any cuisines that you would prefer or cannot eat and is there a neighbourhood that you want to eat in or are you happy with anywhere in Manhattan? Dates are also useful too.

Words such as 'reasonably priced' (which new posters say a lot) or in your case 'fancy but not posh' have different means to different people and will make it hard to get responses as you are essentially asking us to recommend everything place on Manhattan that requires formal dress.

If you provide more information you'll get a lot more responses.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants in nyc

There are over 25,000 restaurants in this town.

Widnes, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants in nyc

Hi sorry im new to this, we are looking to spend around 80 per head not including drinks, and one that caters for everyone, and somewere that isn't to far from times square in a taxi

Widnes, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants in nyc

Good to know

Edited: 03 January 2014, 23:26
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurants in nyc

No need to apologise, everyone's new at one stage and that's why I advised on what info to give to get the best answers.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurants in nyc

Kis is right. For a good fit, you also might include the occasion, the background and the people/ages/tastes//number (therefore space) and tone/decor if you wish.. A cynic might say, depending on who is looking, one-quarter of Manhattan restaurants could conceivably fit your description. Even 5% would be a lot. We look forward to hearing whatever you wish to add!

Widnes, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurants in nyc

We was looking to go to the view but have since read bad reviews

Occasion is anniversary and we want somewhere with a relaxed atmosphere, no kids running around or screaming babies, somewhere where dress code is formal

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurants in nyc

You don't really want "formal."

You want men in jackets/ties/etc. Women also dressed up.

Formalwear for a man is a tux/white tie/etc.

Widnes, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurants in nyc

Men in jackets is casual, formal in the uk is shirts, blazers, suits, anything that looks smart.... it doesn't matter im obviously wasting my time asking anyway can't seem to get a proper answer.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: restaurants in nyc

People are just trying to clarify what you mean. I agree that formal isn't what you're looking for in NYC - shirts, trousers and blazers would usually be 'smart' or just 'dressed up' here in Melbourne too.

Are you happy to use the subway to get suggestions for different areas? My boyfriend and I visited 3 'nice' places in the middle of last year that would fit your criteria of having a relaxed atmosphere while still being somewhere nice where you can dress up, and can come to $80pp excluding drinks, tax and tip.

These places are around the Meatpacking District / Greenwich Village areas.

Scarpetta - Italian

Little Owl (can be hard to get a reservation)

Buddakan - asian fusion